D3 won't change aperture with D lenses

dustin_cole

Hello all,

I'm having a specific problem with my brand new D3 and am wondering if anyone can help me out.

When using Nikon D lenses (Nikkor 50mm/1.4, Nikkor 85mm/1.8) the D3 will not change the aperture through the

camera. The camera recognizes if I manually move the aperture on the lens, which is odd because what's supposed

to happen, and does happen when I test my lenses on other D3s, is that an error message should show warning me

to move it back into f16.

I have the latest firmware and the camera is brand new. Anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-Dustin

Have you tested this D3 with a G lens? Can you control the aperture on a G lens from the Sub-Command Dial? Does the vertical Sub-Command Dial have the same problem? I assume you are using Exposure Mode A or M.

As usual, I would clean the electronic contacts between body and lens around the lens mount.

Additionally, double check Custom Setting f7. You might have swapped the functionality between the main and sub command dials unintentionally.

I've never tried it with a G lens. It works fine though with my 14-24/2.8 and 24-70/2.8. I'm not with the camera right now so can't check the custom setting f7 at the moment, though I reset all the custom settings last night and it didn't change. And yes, I'm using manual mode. It doesn't work in any mode. Thanks!

I know that with D lens', one can set the camera to either control the aperture from the sub command dial or accept a turn of the aperture ring. Check the custom settings and the manual and see if you have your camera set to a mode where it lets the aperture ring decide the aperture.

>> "is that an error message should show warning me to move it back into f16."

>> "On my 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 I have to lock the ring at the tightest setting (apx f16) for this to work. Do you have the lens aperture locked when trying to control it from the camera?"

>>"yup. the aperture is locked."

If the aparture ring is indeed locked at the smallest aparture setting, and your camera works fine w/ G lenses, there's a chance that your lenses' aparture levers are not functioning properly (not working in conjunction with the aparture ring).

Sam mentioned this but we don't know if you checked.

On the F100 and D300 and almost certainly on the D3 there is an option "customize command dials" to control the aperture of D lenses with the aperture ring rather than the sub-command dial. G lenses are still controlled with the sub-command dial. This sounds just like the effect you describe. I don't believe it is affected by a two button reset so you do need to check.

I am almost certain that the problem is in Custom Setting f7. Besides swapping the funcationalities for the main and sub command dials, f7 also lets you choose to use the sub-command dial or the aperture ring on the lens to control the aperture. Just set that to the sub-command dial (and away from the aperture ring). That is why there is no problem when a G lens (e.g. 24-70, 14-24) is mounted.