How to sell vintage FL 100-200mm 1:5.6?

tom_sicora

I have an older Canon lens FL 100-200mm that is in very good shape. It looks

good, feels good and comes in its own leather case that is also in very good

shape. Any thoughts on what it is worth and how I can sell it? Should I list

it on ebay or take it to a camera shop? Your thoughts would certainly be

appreciated.

Thank you, Tom

You probably won't be impressed with its current value. There's one listed at <a href="http://www.keh.com/">KEH in Atlanta</a> in EX condition for $29. A FL 85-300 with case recently went for $150 on eBay, and the FL 50/1.2 goes for about $200+, but the rest of the FL's seem to go for between $20 and $80. eBay is probably your best bet if you really want to sell it.

You probably won't be impressed with its current value. There's one listed at <a href="http://www.keh.com/">KEH in Atlanta</a> in EX condition for $29. A FL 85-300 with case recently went for $150 on eBay, and the FL 50/1.2 goes for about $200+, but the rest of the FL's seem to go for between $20 and $80. eBay is probably your best bet if you really want to sell it.

P.S. things would be so much easier if you could edit a post.

At that price, you might as well keep it and show it to your grandkids, non-photographers or only digi photographers by display it in your lounge room. It will start up a conversation with your guests, back in the film days .....etc.

You can even use it as a weapon for self-defence as these manual lenses are solid and heavy.

I would have to agree that the value of that lens is probably much greater in whatever (even most occassional use) you may give it than what you would get for monetarily. I am afraid you won`t get all that much for it on eBay, and a camera store will probably politely tell you that they don`t want it. You may want to try a pawn shop if you must sell - they seem to sell things by length or by pound sometimes, so a big long lens that weighs a tonne and says Canon on it may land you $30 or so. Then again, it may not - so you are probably best off keeping it. If nothing else its an original paper weight:)

Two things are working against you here the market and the optical quality of the lens. The 100-200mm f5.6 FL was one of Canon first zooms and a rather poor lens by standards just a few years later by todays std's it's crap.

If KEH is asking $29.00 retail for one then ebay or a classified ad here will most likely not fetch you more then $20.00.

Thanks for all your answers on this one. I had know clue as to its value and I am trying to get rid of some old items (that still appear valuable). Actually the paper weight or lounge room item seem like the best suggestions. Thanks, Tom

• 3 weeks later...