35mm. Long story short. I ran the software as instructed, turned off the

computer, as instructed, plugged in the power and the 1394 firewire to the

computer and restarted the computer (windows XP Pro). There is a flashing light

on the front on the scanner that won't go away. GRRRRR The computer won't

recognize the scanner. The dumb tech department at Microtek said it was my

computer. Little did they know, I have 4 other computers and same problem with

all of those. Am I missing something? Is the scanner defective? The tech

department is useless. Thanks for your help. If anyone know the answer please

write of email me with your phone number or I will send my toll free number.

Again, thank you!

Bob

Sounds like the 1394 port on the scanner is blown up.

It's easy to do this with 1394 if a cable was plugged in backward (yes it is keyed but it has happened to the best of us !) or if the cable was plugged in while the power was on both the scanner and the computer. 3 things to look for, if the device manager in XP shows the device and there is a red X or yellow exclamation point next to the device, it is almost sure that is what happened. I forget if the 120tf has both USB and 1394 but as the other reader suggested if it does, try the USB port and see if that works. And third, just for the hell of it, did you try it with a loaded film holder in the scanner ? Does the scanner even "suck in" the film holder ?

Good questions - In the device manager the scanner does not show up at all, but the 1394 connection card in the computer says the card is working just fine. Also, in the Control Panel the scanner is not listed under Scanners and Cameras. I've tried several times reinstalling the software with no luck.

On this model it does not have a USB connection but an SCSI port. If the 1394 in blown up as you said might happen, can I try getting a SCSI card, or is the Microtek fried? The film holder does sort of work; but the reject button doesn't, so haven't figured out how to get the slide out! I've sent 4 emails to Microtek Support and when I call them an answering machine picks up saying they will call back. Wonder when? hehe

Anyway, if any of you have more advice please let me know. Best regards, Bob

Well, SCSI cards aren't that expensive, so it might be worth a try. But the fact that SCSI is the other option surprises me, and makes me think that the 120tf ain't exactly a plug and play device, and the startup sequence may play a role. My Minolta DS Multi II is SCSI, and it must be powered up and running before I power up the PC, or I get the same symptoms that you're getting. What's your starting sequence?<BR>

<BR>

The reason I'm surprised is that my Microtek 1800f, which I <i>think</i> is an older model than the 120tf, has both firewire and USB 2.0. Go figure.....

Did you check the little switch for the SCSI "channel". I just remember that there is a little switch which setting must be correct. There are few settings that should not be used. I think I used the no. 4 but it is long ago and I do not have the operating manual anymore. With Microtek you do not have any service support. One of the reasons I bougth a Coolscan 9000.

Not to highjack this thread, but I have the same problem with my

Artixscan 4000 (SCSI). It was ok, I would say on my older computer

Windows 98, because some times the PC didn't recognize the scanner and it had to be restarted. Move to a digicam and upgrade computer

Windows XP and the PC won' recognize the scanner at all.

Would an SCSI to USB adaptor work on this particular scanner?

I agree on the Microtek Tech Support, it does not exsist and

won't buy any product from this company ever again.

I know the Minolta scanners won't work with the adapter, don't know about Microtek (and given their level of non-service, you probably won't find out,either). I really like the 1800f for medium/large format scans, but it looks like I'll be going elsewhere for a replacement when mine bites the dust. Wonder if Microtek is about to go belly up?

Well here is the latest! The SCSI port didn't work of course. Called the place I bought it at and he, the sales manager, called the local Microtek REP. Within 10 minutes Microtek called back! Go figure! Well Microtek asked a few questions and said the hardware in the scanner was bad. He said to pack it up and bring it back to the store. It will take them way too long to fix it. Unbelievable! Now I see why all of you bought the Nikon scanners.

Many thanks for all of your support and in a week the new Microtek scanner will be in. The store didn't have one in stock. I'll keep you posted in about a week. If that doesn't work I will but the Nikon.

By the way the operator at Microtek is a BRAT! We should get about 100 people on photo.net here to call her at the same time one and just confuse her. Maybe she will retire! hehe

Well, thanks for writing it down. I ruined my scanmaker i900 plugging the firewire the

otherway round. How do I know it? It worked perfectly for a year. I took it from home to office

and it happened. I didnt even look at the firewire plug. Later I saw my mistake. The socket is

so big you can easily plug the firewire the wrong way. Microtek was nice enough to put a

'attention' sticker next to the socket - too late for me. I think the tiny voltage ruined the

motherboard. Now my computer doesnt recognize the scanner, so I'm shopping for a new

one. Any suggestions from you guys, what to buy? The nikon 9000 seems like the best choice

for someone who doesnt make money with taking pictures. Help apreciated.