Sell my Sigma 105 2.8 ang get Nikon 85mm 1.8 for Portraiture?

richard_thomas9

Hello guys! I like my Sigma 105 2.8 for it's multi purpose use of being a very good macro lens and a perfect

focal length for head shot portraiture. Lately, I have noticed that I have been shooting less and less macro and

pondering of selling the lens to get a better portrait lens. I have not had any experience w/ the Nikon 85mm 1.8

and my question is there really a big difference between the Nikon 85mm vs the Sigma 105mm 2.8 if shooting lets

say aperture of f/5.6 - f/11 (where I mostly shoot)? Which lens has better bokeh and sharpness? I thought I would

consult with some of the experts here before I go through the hassle of selling it without regretting in the

future why I sold the Sigma if the results are somewhat close or similar. Thanks guys!

I would keep sigma if I were you. Nikon is a very fine lens but it does not allow as close focusing as Sigma does, and 105 (also 150) is not a bad lens at all. I do not always shoot macros but I will never let my 150 go, although I have the range covered with 70-200vr as well. I would add 85/1.8, but I would not be swapping for it.

- sergey

If you don't use that Sigma for macro, I would say yes, go for the Nikon 85/1.8. Much faster focus than the Sigma 105. Not as close-focussing as the 105 but you know that. The 85 is a nice compact lens, great for walking about with, more than one full stop faster than the 105 and if you want to do macro shots, either get a 6T close-up to use with it or extension tubes (the Kenko AF tubes work very well with the 85). I never liked the focussing of the Sigma 105, prefer either getting very close with smaller lenses (55/2.8) or longer (200/4). The AF on the 85 is quick! and it's a sharp lens with good bokeh (9 blades). Plus it's a Nikkor, third party lenses seem to have more quality control issues. Course it also works well for portraits but lenses for portrait use are a personal choice. Apart from macro shots, I found the 85 much more versatile and useable than the Sigma 105 (Sigma is long gone but the 85 is staying with me!).

Is there a problem with the Sigma? Do you require faster auto focus speed in order to he shoot head shots and

portraints? You already said the focal length is "perfect". If the answer to the two questions are no, then there is no

point in changing and spending money.

Keep the Sigma and buy a good used Nikon 85mm f1.8. Use the Nikon for a while, and see if you like it. If not, you can

always sell it without loosing too much, if any, of your investment. Probably the greatest differences between the lenses

will involve speed, and bokeh. I don't have the Sigma 105mm, so I can't comment on it's disambiguation qualities.

Personally, I would keep both of them. As soon as you get rid of the Sigma, you will want to do macro. ;-)

Yes 85/1.8 is an outstanding lens but I would not be saying Sigma is a slouch either. It is really hard to give an advice when comparing those two. If you already have one I would add 85 as well, but not at the expense of the other.

- sergey