Travel Bag for 2 to 3 Canon Lenses + 40D 580 EX2

tdigi

I would like a bag that can do the following while having some resistance to weather.

1. hold my 40D with a 24-105 attached and allow ease in and out.

2. enough room for 1 or 2 other lenses ( possibly a 70-200 2.8 being 1 )

3. 1 flash ( 580 EX2 )

4. Some accessories

I was looking at the urban disguise bags which look pretty cool but I would like to get some other opinions since I am sure many people

use there camera for travel as well.

I would be using this bag in various places with various weather conditions ( Belize, Memphis, Minnesota, Chicago ) for travel so not

looking like a camera bag is nice.

Thanks

I bought the lowepro Fastpack 350. I used to own the Lowepro Minitrekker 250 and although it has a lot of room, you need to take it off and put it on the floor to access your gear. the Fastpack swings if you take one of the straps and you can take your camera with your main lens in less than two seconds. Lowepro it's a great brand I think, waterproof, durable and well built. Lifetime warranty. Highly recommend it

For traveling I use a Lowepro FastPack 250. It is a newer bag from Lowepro. It has easy side-access, no need to take it off. It has the convience of the "Sling-shot", with the comfort of a backpack. Also, I carry other stuff, light jacket, guide books, food in the back-pack area; and it has a mesh net on the outside for a water bottle. Oh, and it holds a laptop in a padded area. It is perfect for me. The Fastpack 100 does not hold a laptop.

If you adjust the padding, it should fit the 40D with 24-105, the 70-200 (might be tight), and the flash. Other than that, another lens might be pushing it. Though, you could always store it in the backpack section, in a padded case or something.

There is a FastPack 350, which is supposed to be a little larger, which might work better for you.

This setup works perfect when flying, all the techie/photo stuff (laptop, camera, lens, MP3 player, and harddrive) is in my Fastpack, as a carry-on.

Looks like I take too long to type, Simon beat me to it.

One thing about the Fastpack, it is water resistant material, but the 250 (probably the 350) lacks the pull out All-Weather rain cover that many of Lowepro bags have. Probably, my only complaint about it, is the omission of this. Though, I think, in general or light rain, it will hold up alright.

I agree with Amol. The weather cover is the only thing that the Fastpack series is missing. I forgot to add as Amol did that the Fastpack 350 carries a laptop on the back up to 17'. I carry my 350D, 17-85, 50 f/1.8, Peleng 8mm, Canon 100-400, Tamron 180 macro and a Macbookpro 15'. The bag is awesome!

For something a bit different, you might want to consider the Domke "classic" or "little bit smaller" bags. I use them

in Indonesia and regular trips to the states; they travel well and I like working out of them - you don't have to mess

with back pack straps etc. and you can work with them while they are hanging on your shoulder.

I would suggest going down to camara stores and trying out bags - this is a really personal decision...

Cheers

Is the Lowepro FastPack 250 an upgrade to the slingshot? I don't know that I need a slot for the computer but it looks

pretty cool. Another I am considering is the urban disguise 40 again I probably wont carry a laptop.

Tommy,

No, it is not an "upgrade". Just a new design, separate from the Slingshots. There are times, around town, when I don't bring my laptop. I have used it for a book, or magazines, or some other tech thing.

Actually once I used it with a "folding packing cube" for a pair of lightweight pants and shirt. It was a overnight trip.

When I go to Europe next year, I probably won't take my laptop. But, I will probably use the laptop section for packing some souvenirs, that I don't want in "Checked" luggage.

One thing about the Urban disguise series, they may not book like a camera bag. But, they all definitely look like a laptop bags. Which for travel, is still a problem, and may make you more of a target.

The Domke bags always seem to get good reviews, but they too, look like camera bags. Though, I have seen one or two that look more like "messenger bags", and less like laptop or camera bags.

Also, you might want to look at Crumpler brand of photo-bags. They usually don't look like camera bags. They have some good stuff, but a little pricey.

I have a Lowepro Orion and another Chinese bag branded Godspeed. You can try and Google the latter. They are both

backpacks, and I can safely say they are pretty inconspicuous. I have been to pretty rough areas, and most people

are none the wiser. They've no clue I'm carrying thousands of dollars in camera gear. I once got mugged carrying

my Lowepro and all they took was my wallet and phone. They left my bag (which was slung over my shoulder) intact

even though it had all my photography valuables. My Godspeed is bigger and better padded. It also comes with a

weather-proof cover and can be converted into a shoulder-bag. Very nifty and well designed. Either bag can

comfortably carry the items mentioned, in the bottom compartment, which leaves room in the upper one for other

bits and pieces, or a change of clothes, etc.

Yes I want to be able to always keep a lens on the camera and having weather resistant is nice and probably needed. I

may have to get 2 for different situations I am thinking an Urban disguise 30 or 40 for city and walk around and a Slingshot

200 for when I am hiking or traveling to places where a shoulder back is to much.

I love my Kata DR465 backpack!

It is seriously disguised and offers much more space on the inside than it appears on the outside. It's also the

first bag that I've seen that has its own raincoat that covers the whole bag - which is perfect for me as I plan

to take it to go bushwalking etc. Camera access is reasonably fast but can get a bit fiddly, depends how much

stuff you have and how you arrange the compartments (removable inserts).

It's big enough to carry my 40D, 28-135mm, 10-22mm, 50mm, charger, cleaning kit, accessories (filter and lens

hood) and a compact camera. I don't know about your 70-200 though, may not be tall enough, I'm not sure.

Definitely won't fit mounted on the camera. There is also the higher model DR467 which is bigger and can fit a

laptop.

It's one of those split backpacks similar to the Tamrac Adventure 6/7 series, whereas the bottom compartment is

used for your camera gear and the top for your personal things. The top compartment is not big, but for me it's

enough to carry my wallet, phone, keys and other small items e.g. a scarf or lunch sandwiches.

The only thing I found annoying is the water bottle compartment is way too small and not usable. I can fit my

umbrella there that's about it. It also does not have a tripod belt, which could be nice. Though it has a trolley

insert which I also don't use.

Other bags that I considered was the Crumpler 6 and 7 Million Dollar Home shoulder bags and the Tamrac Adventure

series 7 which you might also find interesting. Decided against the Crumpler as I thought it's not versatile

enough to be taken in the wild and shoulder bag can get tiring after a while. The Tamrac and Kata are quite

similar in design, size and price, but decided on the Kata thought more practical, looks nicer and love the

yellow interior. Thought the padding was a bit thicker too.

Check out: http://www.cambags.com - great camera bag review site!

As much as possible, do try them on at the shop and bring all your gear along to make sure they can fit. I

brought all my junk in a shopping bag and looked like a complete dork, but this is really the only way that you

can find out which one suits you best, as there will be many opinions etc and everyone has their own taste.

Good luck shopping!