Lens selection for DSLR and Film

mike_gabbay

I'm just getting back into nature photography after about 8 or 9 years of dealing with work and home life demands. A

few weeks ago I purchased a D80 and after using it with some of my older lenses (Nikon 35-105 AF-S and 28 manual

focus) I'm starting to look at some additional lenses. In the past I've always tried to purchase Nikon lenses for their

quality of optics and barrels etc. However, being on a farily tight budget the higher end/faster lenses are out of reach

until I hit the Mega-Millions! I am aware of the DX and FX issues with the D80 and can deal with that.

So given where I am and that I still have and would like to use my older film bodies (FMs), I need some advice on

purchasing some lenses. My first choice would be to look at the used market for some Nikon lenses that are in

good shape. Second choice would probably be either a slower new Nikon lens or something from Sigma or

Tamaron. I'd like some feedback on the Sigma and Tamaron lenses. Are they up to similar quality of Nikons for a

non-professional?

As for what I photograph, it will be mainly nature (landscapes and flora) and the kids sports (baseball and basketball)

My current inventory is basically limited to a Nikon AF 35-105mm f3.5 (for DX that would equate to roughly 50-150)

and AI 28mm manual lens (I know my D80 won't be able to meter with this lens).

I'd like to add a 70-200mm and possibly a 20mm or 24mm.

Thanks!

I believe that Sigma's 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses are generally pretty good. I have the earliest version, and I'm

happy with it. I think that for most wildlife, though, you'll end up wanting something even longer - you might

consider a recent variant of Nikon's 70-300mm lens. Of course, that won't be as fast as the f/2.8 that the

70-200 will give you - and a fast long telephoto lens sounds like it's out of your budget.

Used Nikon 20mm f/2.8 AF lenses can be found for ~$300-$400 at KEH. You could also get Nikon's 20-35mm f/2.8,

which is an older but highly regarded lens, for under $700. That may or may not be out of your budget - your

call. If you want to go even wider, Sigma makes a 10-20mm f/4-5.6, and Tokina makes both a 12-24 f/4 and an

11-16 f/2.8.

With Nikon glass, I recommend that you don't hesitate to buy used lenses - it can save you a lot of money, and

risk is pretty minimal if you order from somewhere with a good return policy. I recommend checking www.keh.com -

even their bargain grade equipment has been in pretty good shape in my experience, and they're a reputable dealer.

Guys - thanks for the replies. I looked at the KEH selection of used lenses and they seem to have an excellent stock of wideangles and zoom telephotos. I'm looking at something on the lighter side in the 70-200mm since I do a lot of hiking and toting a 3 pound f2.8 is a little much. So I'll probably get something in the f4 range.

For the wideangle, I think a 20mm or 24mm would be a good choice for me.

If I get a AF-S lens I can use it on both my FM and D80.

So in the Nikon line, are there any real dogs for the 70-200mm lenses that I should stay clear of?

• 2 weeks later...
Mike, I hike with this kit all the time- D300, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 VR f/2.8 and a Gitzo CF Tripod all inside a Dueter Pack. 2 large bottles of water and camera accessories- battery, 3 filters 77mm, & misc memory and cleaning stuff. My total pack weight is somewhere close 18lbs. Just did Grandfather Mountain (8 miles round trip) in the summer with no trouble and I am a big guy. Why take all the time and effort to reach a special place and not have the best equipment with me? By the way the 70-200 is used more than any other lens for me right now. My ultra light kit for fast hiking and set up is D300 with Nikon 18-200VR, batteries, filters & tripod. Possible alternative to the 70-200 lenses is the 50-150 out there- no idea how good. Stay away from Tamron 28-300! Good luck Chris