Wanted: classic but cheap 35mm rangefinder

bluphoto

Just thought I would toss in my 2 cents worth.

I was the same way, my DSLR just wasn't as fulfilling to me. So I started buying retro film gear again. I have

SLRs, TLRs, and RFs that I bought from E-Bay and all were under $200.

Cutting to just the range finders my 2 favorites are my Yashica Electro35 and my FED 2.

Both seem solid cameras which I have been using for over a year now and have put well over 100 rolls of film

through each without mechanical problems.

The FED2 feels like a tank and would come in handy as a self defense weapon if needed. Mine came with the

Industar 61 f2.8 lens which is a sweet performer. Just make sure you get a take-up spindle if you buy the camera.

trying to find one can be a devil. Of course there is no frames for other focal lengths and the view is a little

dim. But considering it only cost me $32 I was very impressed.

The Yashica Electro35 is another camera I am very happy with. The viewfinder is much brighter than the FED2 and

the lens is also very good. This has become my everyday shooter. The only draw back is the battery. You will need

to get some type of adapter because the original 5.6v PX32 mercury battery is no longer made. But you can use the

PX28A 6V and a spring to make up the difference in size.

Check out: http://www.photoethnography.com/equipment.html for more information about this and other retro cameras

including quirks and images. Karen Nakamura who runs the site gives a good rundown on what it is like to actually

use each camera.

I purchased a battery adapter for my Yashica from: http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/battery.html

No matter what camera you get if you want the manual for it the best site I have found is:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/index.html He has some 2500+ free manuals for downloading along with a bunch of

other old catalogs, chemical mixtures and other camera related goodies.

One final thing; be prepared for a lot of stares and questions when you bring out a retro camera anyplace there

are other tourist with their digitals.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that if you buy a Russian LTM camera (Leica Thread Mount), Oleg at okvintagecamera is the way to go. All his cameras are CLA'd and guaranteed. For US sales try Fedka, but there's aren't CLA'd. A Zorki I (looks just like a Leica II) and a Industar 22 or Industar 61LD are very nice setups and you can use the Leica lenses on the Zorki if you wish. I sold the Fed 2 I was offering, but Oleg probably has them. Mine did not feel like a plastic toy. How could it? There is no plastic in it. It felt like a Leica. Whereas the Zorki 4 I had felt very crude, but it had not been CLA'd..

It isn't as classic, but the best route may be to go w/ a Bessa R or the R2a or R3a. You get an in camera meter, takes Leica or Russian glass, the 2a and 3a have AE and AE lock. Nice little cameras. Not to knock the Retinas or other cameras that have been suggested, but you should try to stay w/ cameras that take the Russian or Leica glass. The selection of lenses is the best available in photography, and the optical quality is the best.

If you want to try something fun and a bit smaller, and are looking to shoot wide, consider the Bessa L with the Super-Wide

Heliar 15/4.5. You get TTL metering, no rangefinder and a shoe-attached viewfinder. Stop it down to about f8 and zone

focus - you'll get everything from about 0.5m to infinity.

The ultimate point-and-shoot!

• 4 months later...
<p>I know i'm a bit late in replying to this, but my very favorite of the affordable classic rangefinders is the Voigtlander Vitomatic. Solid, compact, built-in selinium meter, coupled rangefinder, HUGE/bright viewfinder, and can be found with the Ultron 2.0 lens and EASY to use. Love it!</p>