OM3-Ti advice!

sdifaz

Hello All!

I have a problem with a recently purchased OM3-Ti and i need to ask advice...

I find that the exposure compensation dial turns freely without me having to lift it and then turn as I would expect.

Thus you are never sure if the exposure is correct unless you first check the dial.

Is this normal or should it be a lift and turn operation?

I am relatively new to olympus OM cameras but if I find it surprising that the dial was designed to just turn freely?!

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Simon

I've had problems with the compensation setting changing as I pick up my OM4s from my camera bag, that end of the body being stored upwards. I now try to store the bodies with bases downwards in my bag and to remain alert to this problem. (My X-Pan ISO settings get moved in the same way, hard to believe as it takes considerable pressure to move it back, and is vulnerable when the camera is stored base downwards!).

Thanks for the advice everyone... My camera definately has no click stops for exposure compensation. It just turns. You can push it with your little finger! I hate to keep on but should it have click stops or something to stop the compensation dial turning where it likes and effecting exposure??

Again, Thanks!

Regards

Simon

Hello Simon,

My OM-3 exposure compensation dial has solid click stops, and its not so easy to turn, not with one finger. I need to use both my index finger and thumb to turn it to its stop positions. Something is definitely wrong with your camera body. You need to either return it, negotiate a partial refund for repair with the seller, or send it away yourself. Reread John's comment above. If you LIFT and turn the dial, that sets the ASA speed, and there's no click stops when you LIFT and turn, but definite click stops if you just turn it and NOT LIFT.

George,

Thanks for your comment. When I lift and turn I can change ASA no problem. When I release and re-seat the dial that is when I have free play! I can literally turn the dial with the merest brush of my little finger, there are no solid click stops as you describe. I think that the body will be returned to the shop as something is not right and I'll take it from there.

Thanks fellas for all your input!

What a super little camera though...!

Regards,

Simon

Free wheeling asa/comp dial in original 4 bodies was an often seen problem. ASA would shift as you turn comp dial or there wasn't a real definite click when you dialed compensation. 4T and Ti is much improved in this area with taller knurled ASA dial providing much more definite compensation clicks. Old 4s can be converted to this better dial setup but it takes about $75 in parts. (Also requires taller rewind shaft, rewind bushing and some asa circuit parts). The problem Simon describes in his 3Ti may because dial nut is lose, or camera is tampered and metal bearing that produces the clicks is missing. John, www.zuiko.com