LCD dilemma -- size, aspect ratio for accessory monitor

Hi there,

I'm finishing a new photo editing PC build. This pc eventually will be used in a dual monitor set-up (using one very nice and

yet-to-be-determined image monitor and another monitor for palettes, menus, text, etc.). I am finishing graduate school and

cannot yet afford (in time or $) to spec-out the image monitor right now and will deal with that next spring after I graduate.

In the mean time, I'd like to use this new machine as my primary PC and therefor, need a monitor. I envision this monitor

being relegated to the palettes/menu monitor once I'm out of school and can purchase a nice image monitor to go with it for

the two monitor set-up mentioned above. I've done a bunch of research and am more bewildered than when I started. I

could use some assistance.

I think I'll be targeting a future image monitor in the 24 - 27 inch range. As such, what size monitor would best accompany

that as the accessory menu monitor?

What about aspect ratio? I currently use a 4:3 CRT for images and a 5:4 LCD for menus, email, word docs, etc. The LCD

seems to work for me and I keep it in portrait. I suspect that the image monitor that I get next spring will be 16:10.

The second area of uncertainty is what monitor to get. Yes, I realize that it doesn't have to be anything great as an email,

palettes, menus monitor, but I will have to look at it every day for a long time, use it for everything for 9 months, and write a

thesis on it as well.

To recap in a nutshell, I'm looking for advice on the monitor size and aspect ratio that will compliment a 24 - 27 in monitor in

the future, but also will work well as the only monitor on this machine in the meantime for school work, web, email, photos,

etc. I'd also like to hear any recommendations for actual makes and models. Many of the better rated LCDs in the 20 -22

inch class that I've been reading about have been discontinued. Okay, I hope this makes sense!

Thanks up-front!

Eric

(I likely will post this elsewhere as well)

viewsonic vp2250wb is a great monitor for the money these days. it's really at a price point all it's own for what it offers for features. google it. . . . read about it I think the current issue of shutterbug magazine has a great review of the monitor. . . .

Ok good, i had for years a Samsung 225BW (22inch) 16:9 aspect ratio that was pretty good when calibrated with a device, have a bad viewing angle but was use when i was on location too hook to my laptop. cost around 325$ at best buy. The black are not as black as the expensive monitor, like a NEC monitor (by the way this is what you will want as for quality monitor when you can afford it)

325$ - 22inch monitor - 16:9 ratio - .25dot something (lower number better) - less then 5millisecond refresh rate i think (gammer like that, photographer dont really care)

Still had enough money to buy a pantone huey pro to calibrated it. a start as you would like to move on to a spider3 pro asap when you get the better monitor, cost around 200$ vs 100$ for the huey.