Buy a prime, or save up for the EF-S 17-55?

jonathan_lui

Currently, I have a EF-S 17-85. Yes, it has mixed reviews, but a most of those reviews compare this lens to

lenses that aren't even in the same price range. There probably isn't any other lens in that price range that has

a versatile focal-length range, IS, USM, decent build quality, and non-rotating front-element. I would still get

this lens separately from the 40D, if it did not already come as a kit-lens.

All that background info is just to show that I am not unhappy with this lens, however there are times when I

feel constrained by it's relatively small maximum aperture.

I'm thinking of buying the Sigma 30mm 1.4 to complement this lens in low-light. With that setup, I get extra 2-3

stops but only at 30mm.

On the other hand, I could sell the 17-85, add the money for the 30mm, and buy a EF-S 17-55. I get 1-2 extra

stops, but lose 30mm...

Any opinions?

How much do you need the 55 to 85 range? There are also mixed reviews with the Sigma 30 1.4 mainly the issue is regarding focusing and Sigma QC. However, I fell I got a very good one and very happy with it. 30mm is alright with me specially indoor as I find the 50 a bit tight (I have also Sigma 50 1.4). You can check with your 17-85 whether 30 is enough for your first prime.

I counted my photos from the 17-85, most of the photos are either 17 or 85mm, probably because they're the easiest to access. The rest of the photos are distributed fairly evenly across the middle range, with a higher than average spike around the 28-35mm range. A long time ago, I used a canon film-slr with a 50mm 1.8 lens, so I'm fairly comfortable with that focal-length.

Put it this way ... the 17-55 is something to replace the 17-85 (albeit you'll miss the tele range at times). The 30/1.4 is a nice add on to the 17-85. If you are pleased with what you get from the 17.85, why change it, just add the 30/1.4. (With the money left, you could even add a 50/1.8 and a 85/1.8 and you would still be within the same price range as the 17.55 is).

I own all these lenses (except the 17-55 IS). As much as I like the 17-85 as a alround lens, I take the primes for lowlight and for portrait.

17-55: This is my allround lens. In the beginning i was fighting buyers remorse, but that soon vanished. The 17-55 is my fastest, and sharpest lens. I think the 17-55 will give you better speed (focus wise and light gathering wise), and better sharpness! Get the hood!

For lowlight photography, i use the 85/1.8 and the 50/1.8. The extra stop and a third are worth it ...

Get all of them ;)

While I tend to agree with Tommy that one good lens (or one great lens such as the 17-55 f/2.8 IS) is better than two that are not so great, I would say if you are happy with the 17-85, as I am, try adding a prime or two and see where that gets you. I'd suggest both the 85mm f/1.8 (great portrait lens even on a crop body such as the 40D) and the relatively inexpensive Canon 35 f/2, also a very popular choice on this board. OK, by that point you have dropped another $560 USD or thereabouts but you have two lenses you will probably never sell (and, if you do, you'll lose very little of your investment) and the 17-85 that will still take more than 50% of your shots I am guessing. Then, if you are not happy you could sell the lot and get your 17-55 f/f2.8. However, there will be plenty of low light and portrait situations where you will be glad you have the two primes even if you do have the 17-55.

Thanks for all the reasonable responses! None of the lens-bashing common in other forums...

I think I'd probably go with the 30mm (or similar) prime. Right now, I'd find it more useful to complement my

17-85, rather than replacing it with a faster/sharper lens.