17 mm still wide angle on 30D

Sure, but you answered your own question. Many (but not all) photographers will say that 28mm was the classic wide angle lens (smack dab between 24mm and 35mm). 27mm is awful close plus with the 17-40 you move securely into the "normal" range of lenses at 64mm effective focal length.

If you intend to stay with EF-S compatible bodies for the foreseeable future, consider the 10-22. But before buying, try a 17-40 or a 10-22 at the 17mm setting, and see if it's wide enough for you.

I bought a 17-40 first, and then a 24-105 later (started with a 10D, now on a 20D). I've yet to need or want wider than 17mm, and I plan to go full frame with the 5D successor, so I haven't been tempted by the 10-22. In fact, I doubt I'll have much use for the 17-40, once I've gone FF.

Really depends on the individual. The standard lens that stays on my 10D is a 14mm and I am really beginning to miss using it on film but will when I have more time. So another alternative for you is the Sigma 12-24 which is also good for full frame and fits perfectly with your 24-105.

Since you already have the 24-105 I would have a problem justifying the 17-40 only to really use it at 17-24.

I think the 17-40mm f/4 L would be a great standard 'walk around' zoom on a 1.6 crop DSLR. But as was mentioned - it does overlap a lot with your 24-105mm. If you don't shoot a lot in the 17-24mm range (27-39mm effective) I would think that it may be an expensive proposition. Then again I don't know what is in you bank account ;)

I just got a 20D, and a week later got a used Tamron 19-35mm f3.5-f4.5 from KEH for $120 USD. I know it cannot compare to the 17-40 f4L, but it got me into that range. I can move up later without a large investment. As a bonus it also works on my Elan 7N !