Extension tubes on a DX 18-70mm lens?

tm_photography

I would not recommend it. I would recommend a 50mm f/1.8D and a set of Kenko extension tubes. Most people including me use manual focus for macro work seeing as it is more precise.

The kenko tubes will maintain metering and I think AF (even though you will want to switch to MF).

You'll also want to stop down and use a tripod for DoF.

:D

You don't need autofocus for macro, or even metering for that matter. I use a 55mm f3.5 MANUAL micro on my D50 (it was

REAL cheap, cheaper than extension tubes for my 50mm f1.8 actually). Totally manual, no metering, no problem. If you're

shooting critters that's another story you might need autofocus, but in any case, extension tubes are no substitute for a good (even a

cheap) micro lens.

I don't think, btw, that extension tubes will work with any of the kit lenses right anyway.

Have you purchases a split focusing screen for your camera to help with manual focus, or do you just eyeball it?

Do you measure the distance with a measuring tape?

I was thinking of getting a close-up filter so I could focus closer. I love my lens but can't get as close as I'd like.

a 50mm 1.8 would be awesome and it's on my wish list. Though I am still unsure whether to get a 50mm or a 35mm. The 35mm would give me the same viewing angle as the 50 mm on my film camera.

Is there some reason to prefer the 50 to the 35? What macro ratio can you get without an extension tube? I've been looking at the Kenko's. The only ones that claim to support AF are the set, specifically the "Kenko

Auto Extension Tube Set DG (12, 20 & 36mm Tubes) for Nikon Digital" Can I buy them individually? If so which would you recommend, and where do you buy your gear? I buy from B and H and Amazon. B and H has the virtue of shipping to me here in OZ. With Amazon I have to get any item sent to a friend and have him send it to me.

I'm a total NOOB when it comes to real Macro photography. My Pentax K100 has a Vivitar Series 1 28-105 macro lens on it, but that is as far as I've gone with Macro photography. My Gitzo tripod is great for Macro work because it can be lowered close to the ground etc. I use a Gitzo GT-2530EX Explorer 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod, with the off centre rotatable centre column.

I realize the topic is shifting a bit, but your responses have been very thought provoking. Keep them coming.

Cheers,

Timothy

Timothy, if you're asking about the 50mm vs. 35mm in relation to macro photography only, you wouldn't want to get the 35mm lens for macro. If you are asking about lenses for general photography, my preference is the 35mm lens rather than the 50mm lens because in too many cases I found the 50mm just a little too long. But the 50mm f1.8 lens is a sharp, fast lens for the price, and I think most people (and I) would recommend getting one for general photography.

I think you'd probably want a macro lens for macro photography. I hope you'll consider second party macro lenses as well as Nikon because some of them, for example the Tamron 90mm macro, are quite good.

For casual closeups the best compromise with a lens like the 18-70 DX would be a closeup diopter, which fits in the filter threads. This will enable closer focus and great magnification, while preventing infinity focus. For casual closeups this may be a reasonable compromise if you prefer to travel light.

Keep in mind that when set to minimum focus distance at 70mm, the actual focal length of the 18-70 DX is closer to 55mm. Add a closeup diopter and you may find yourself almost nose-to-nose with the subject, so be sure the subject doesn't bite.

The 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor with a closeup diopter is another reasonable compromise. The results won't be as good as with a dedicated macro lens, but it's suitable for casual closeups especially handheld where a tripod is impractical (often the case in some public gardens on busy weekends).

These are all compromises of course and for best results you should consider a macro lens as suggested by others here.