M8 6-bit coding system - why is it necessary ?

kingsley1

Stuart, that is exactly what I think. I use old "Ais" Nikon lenses on my Nikon D700 and all I have to do is to enter the lens information (i.e. its focal length and its maximum aperture) in the set-up menu and the camera will then allow its metering system to be used with the lens. I believe what the M8's sensor does when it reads the 6-bit code is the same thing i.e. picking out the lens information to be used by its firmware.

Anthony; One can add a LTM to M adapter and use any LTM lens; or just use a 1950's M lens too. Thus one can shoot with a Rigid 50mm F3.5 Industar LTM from a Zorki if one wants too; or a 15mm VC LTM lens; or a 1970's Noctilux; or The other brand thats making M mount lenses. If one gets vigneting one can use the raw converter in photoshop and force the image to have even illumination; even its its a pre WW2 LTM lens. One can also make ones own 6bit code with a sharpie (magic marker) too.

If camera companies didnt need the sell new lenses to stay afloat they could have a wheel to turn for lenses A; B; C and D; where one in software injected the vigneting signature for a 15mm VC lens; your 35mm F2.8 LTM Nikkor; your 50mm F2 DR Summicron; your 80mm F2.8 OhMyGosh Triplet; your 13.5cm Russian gem.

I use Leica lenses from 75 Lux, 50 Lux, 35 Lux, and 24 f2.8 without any lens coding. I've never seen any problem with the images from any lens. It's supposed to be necessary from 35mm and wider, but I've taken many tests shot at blue skies and white walls and I have not seen any problems in the corners whatsoever. My advice is shoot without coding until you see a problem, and if you don't have any problems, forget about it. I don't need to pay that much money to have information automatically recorded. It also irks me that this issue is not resolved with software. Anyone else have the same experiences with wide, uncoded lenses?

Vignetting and color fringing (with filters) are only problems at focal lengths wider than 50mm, so lots of existing M lenses can be used, with or without filter, uncoded. Uncoded lenses wider than 35mm will exhibit (relatively mild) vignetting, which is an effect you might like, and which can easily be corrected in photoshop using an adjustment layer with a radial gradient. They will also exhibit "cyan corners" which can again be corrected in Photoshop, again using an adjustment layer and a red radial gradient.

So when your Leica dealer says you can use the lenses you've been using on your M6, he's telling the truth. Using modified lenses is a bit easier when you go wider than 50mm. It would certainly be possible to update the M8 firmware to allow entry of lens information through the menu system, but Leica seems very reluctant to do this.