What to do with time

preston_harper

Tomorrow I have a unique time and wedding to shoot and could use some advice. The wedding is being held at

a restaurant, starting at 12:00. The ceremony will last 10 minutes, followed by the couple's first dance, then

immediately by the two parent dances. At this point ALL dancing is done (that is right, no reception dancing), and

it will be about 12:20. The recpetion lasts until 4:00. What can I do for the remaining 3 hours and 40 minutes? I

plan on getting table shots of all 40 guests (about 15 minutes), and some low-light detail shots of the location

another 20 minutes. This should take me close to 1:00, with 3 hours remaining. Any other ideas as to what I can

do? Formals will be taken starting at 4:00 (everyone should look fresh since they will not be dancing (LOL). Any

creative/good ideas would be welcomed.

Cheers

You could concentrate on getting good candid shots of the bride/groom and guests. After taking all the posed shots, it's sometimes nice to have those "in the moment" photos. Walk around a bit and take individual photos of the b/g and guests while they talk and enjoy the day.

You have the photographer's dream! You can spend some beautiful relaxed time with the bride and groom to take some romantic and fun images... Get creative! This is going to be a very photojounalistic style... keep in mind the wedding album design (if you are doing a coffe table book album) ... designing your album as you shoot. Take some great bride's portait shots... hopefully you are in a nice location!

Hopefully the 'drinks' will be iced tea and coffee. If the dinner includes a open bar, some of the wedding party may not be really fresh for the formals if they get a few drinks in before 4 p.m.

...and the wedding cake images will probably be part of the dinner, right?

I don't know if you bring a laptop with slideshow software with you, but I do. I would get all my shooting done, then download the images to the laptop, pick about 100 or so, and put them in a slideshow. I carry a clipboard with signup sheets to gather e-mails from friends and families, and have it set up on a little portable table with my laptop, and I use the opportunity to do some subtle marketing, get reactions from those who gather around to see the images, make small talk, etc.

I put the e-mail addresses into the guest list on Pictage, and then when the pics go online, everyone gets notified.

I would caution photographers to check with the couple before showing a slideshow on a laptop.

My photographer did this and I could have killed her!

All the guests were crowding around the laptop during the reception looking for fun pictures of themselves and their kids/friends rather than mingling and having fun and visiting and socializing with me and my husband and others. I was pissed. Just a heads up.