new sq-ai not working.how to take shots

jameshaskins

hello,

i just bought a bronica sq-ai off the auction site. it has the prism, which i believe has a meter cause there is a on and

off switch and a auto-manual switch. i need help. this thing wont take any shots. the batterys are new. the red light

turns on. after i bought it my dad took this into a shop and they said it was working fine. then i recieved it and i cant

get it to shoot. so i ve loaded the film properly, connected the back. turned on the on button. cranked the.....crank

and tried shooting, but nothing happens........am i doing something wrong?load film, turn on..take shot....no??

please help.......and why cant i see any expsure readings?? all that lights up is the red battery light.

ive downloaded the manual but it wont explain to me anything.

thanks!

james

I have used one belonging to a friend and if my memory is correct, the shutter setting for the meter and for the camera body, both have to be set at the same speed for the camera to work properly. If that doesn't work. Head to the shop your dad went to and see if one of the salespeople can walk you through it. You've already downloaded the manual which would be your first line of info (start from page one and follow it step by step without getting impatient like me).

After that, if the camera shop can't help, and if my suggestion doesn't work (and my memory of this is about six years old and a bit iffy), see if the Bronica site has a contact number and call them for info. You might also call all the wedding photographers around your area and see if one or more of them used this camera before the dreaded digital age took over and ask them for help. These remain outstanding cameras (rivaling my Hasselblads) with excellent lenses and accessories. Once you get this one working, you should be very happy with the results.

You might also contact a friend who sells on ebay as classiccamera.com. Paul (Mayberry) has sold huge amounts of Bronica gear and is quite familiar with how they work. Maybe he can help and he could also be a great source for other lenses and accessory items.

Good luck.

Tim

James, here's another test you didn't mention and other posters not either and you should try. There's a littler switch bar/knob at the right side of body that you can rotate to turn the camera to "N" or "C" modes (I don't remember exactly as the camera not with me this moment) which enable the SQ-Ai to shoot normal or multiple exposures respectively. The "C" mode at horizontal(!) position can make you to shoot (cock the shutter and mirror as cranking) as many as you like without film being advanced, e.g. regardless of film loaded or not (can't remember if darkslide must be out or not so try both) so that you may tell if the shutter/mirror cocking/releasing mechanism functions properly or not, which could lead you to find out what's going on in general. Meanwhile, film must be advanced to frame "1" in order to shoot (cocking the shutter).

Just one thought before you reach a likely conclusion that there's something wrong with the camera. Is there a Speedgrip fitted? If so the button on the base of the grip also has to be turned to "on". I presume you've tried everything like taking the lens off and reattaching; taking the back off and reattaching? You have wound the film on enough so that 1 shows in the film window?

another things, i just saw the lens both attached and detached. when i open and close the f stops the shutter doesnt open and close like my 35mm camera lenses..

I DO have a speed grip but that ON button, is just a lock. its not a on or off button.

i dont even hear the mirrorgo up and down. i push the button and nothing happens......

Forget about the prism, the back, the lens and the speedgrip....the body will fire without any of these items so

remove them all to eliminate these as variables. Now the body will only fire if it is in multiple exposure mode

(as mentioned above), it will only fire if it has working batteries in it (since the shutter is electromagnetic)

and if it the ring around the shutter is in the unlocked position(as mentioned above). Remember to put it in

multiple exposure mode and THEN wind the crank to cock the shutter mechanism. Use the battery test button to

verify that the batteries are working and installed properly etc. If you have done all these things and it

doesn't fire then you are in a pickle because there is nothing else for you to set or do to make it fire...this

is everything

I have ETR, ETRS, SQ-A and GS-1 cameras. I don't know if the SQ-Ai is different but in the ETR ans SQ-A cameras the battery is not used to fire the shutter in the lens. It only regulates the speed of the lens. The shutter in an E series lens has a mechanical default speed of 1/500. I just took the battery out of an ETRS body. It had a lens fitted, a 120 back/insert and a plain prism finder. There is no film in the back. When I pulled out the dark slide and set the multiple exposure lever to the 3:00 o'clock position the shutter fired with no problem. Using slower shutter speeds exhausts the battery faster because it powers the magnets which slow the blades with any speed under 1/500. If I wanted a medium format SLR with mechical operation at all speeds then the ETRS is not the right one.

I don't know what effect a meter prism has on the battery because none of my Bronica SLR cameras get used with a meter prism. Is the lens cocked before you mount it on the body?