Weather in New Zealand in Late September

ruicardoso

Hello,

I'm considering traveling to New Zealand, and I'm wondering if I should go there during my next hollyday period,

by late September/Begining of october or if should postpone the trip to February/March.

I plan to drive through both Islands, so my biggest concern is snow and beeing able to drive to most places.

Any insigth would be appreciated.

Regards,

-Rui

Snow should not be an issue during either of those periods. The weather the last few years has been quite good then. I

would recommend choosing the latter so you will have more time to plan your trip. The sun is pretty unobstructed there so

protect yourself from UV damage and head the daily UV warning in the weather report. Also a blue cast can be problematic

in color photography so if you don't use UV filters you might consider using them there.

In New Zealand, late September/early October is mid spring. William's advice is very good. There will probably be snow to ski on at the skifields, but it is unlikely you will get a road blocked by snow at that time. Check out this website and follow links for some ideas and information on driving.

http://www.aa.co.nz/travel/travelling-in-new-zealand/Pages/default.aspx

Regards, Ross (Wellington, NZ)

You are unlikely to be stopped by snow Sept-Oct, except possibly on the highest passes in the South

Island, but

even that would be a rare ocassion. The biggest problem that time of the year is the unsettled weather,

with rain and in some places, quite a bit of wind.<P>

A better time would be mid Feb through to April. This will give you the most settled, warmer weather,

and you'll miss the main holiday season.<P>

Make sure you allow yourself enough time. The distances may no be great by some standards, but the

roads rarely go in a straight line!<P>

<A HREF="http://www.capturenewzealand.co.nz/"><B>This site</B></A> may give you some ideas and

inspiration.<P>

Thanks all,

I allready decided to postpone the trip to end of Feb/March, and taking at least one month for it. I would only be able to take 3 weeks in Sep/October and considering that I would spend arround 4 days traveling (both ways) between NZ and Portugal I woul'd be left with the ammount of time I'd like to have over there.

Regards,

-Rui

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rui,

Feb and March should be fine and warm (mid 20sC) but NZ weather is very unpredictable, it can do anything at any time -- four seasons

in one day. Dress in layers and bring a jersey and rain jacket just in case. Now (end of August) we have heaps of snow in the south

which should continue through September (good for skiers). You'll miss it in Feb/March. You might like to check out www.ginz.com for

travel itinerary suggestions, or drop me a line.

Cheers,

David

www.davidkillick.co.nz