SB-800 / SB-600 How to.........

stevesmith1

The one on the camera has to be set to be the "Master", and the one off the camera is set to be a "Slave". Make sure both are on the same channel, which they should be by default, and as long as the slave is out in front of the master it should receive the signal to fire when the master is triggerd by the camera.

Do you want to use a camera's built-in flash to control them, or do you want to use one of these in the camera's hot shoe as a controller for the other?

If the latter, you must use the SB-800 on the camera, and put it in controller mode. Note the channel and group you want it to talk to, and set the SB-600 into remote mode, set to the appropriate channel and group.

Yes, there's lots of little details (which, indeed, have been covered many times), but before providing or linking you to more details, it would help to know what camera you're using, and what situation you're looking to tackle.

Hi guys

sorry I am using a D300 and wish to capture water droplets, I tried it over the weekend with the SB-800 on the camera's hotshoe with some ok results but now would like to try it with a flash to side etc.

sorry for being so vague

steve

Use the D300's built-in as the commander, and the SB-800 and/or SB-600 off-camera using CLS as a slave. There should

be oodles of web resources on using CLS (Nikon's Creative Lighting System). You might be able to figure it out by playing

with the menus on the camera and the flashes.

Yeah, what mark said. I have the D200 which also has the on-board commander mode on the on-board flash. Works pretty well. Only thing to keep in mind is that the sensor on any off-board flash needs to be able to receive light signals from the on-board flash (which many times means that the sensor needs to be facing towards the camera). On the SB600 the sensor is on one side of the flash. And in most cases, you can arrange this no problem. Sometimes, however, I've had to use bounce cards (anything will do really) on the far side of the off-board flash to get the light from the commander to the right sensor. If that makes no sense, just re-read this when you have the set up arranged....