220 Super back on a Pro TL

kevin_zimmerman

Hello. I apologize for the relative "newbie-ness" of this question. Like a lot of people, I'm buying used professional gear from days gone by

and having a lot of fun with it. However, I find myself not knowing quite what I'm doing every once in a while.

That said, I have one specific question. I have a 645 Pro TL, and have been using a 120 Pro back. Recently, I purchased a 220 Super

back, thinking that it would work on the camera. I've since learned that I should be able to use the 220 insert with the 120 back without a

problem (which I was unaware of, and is very exciting). But my question is — is a 220 Super back usable on a Pro TL body?

The film will advance to the 1st frame when I attach the back containing a new roll. But then the camera won't allow the shutter to open (in

the same way that it won't when the slide hasn't been removed from a back).

The only real difference I can see between the 120 and 220 backs is that the 220 back has a small spring clip behind the metal mounting

bracket that the 120 doesn't.

Again, sorry for the idiot question, but I'd like to be able to switch backs as well as inserts. Thanks for the time.

There's no such thing as a "220 back" for the Mamiya Super/Pro/ProTL. The back housing is generic, only the insert varies, either 120/220, OK? You'll sometimes see pristine Mamiya 645 backs with 220 inserts go for peanuts on the big auction site, so grab 'em and just wait for another seller peddling 120 inserts, which often go cheap, too.