9 days in Nova Scotia

garrett_cotham

If you have the time, going southeast from Halifax is Peggy's Cove. But in August, it will likely be full of tourists. It's

still a nice place to visit. Continuing southeast, the fishing villages of Mahone Bay and Lunenburg are very

photogenic. Halifax to Mahone Bay is about 50 miles, Lunenburg is another 5 miles. Here's a link to a page on my

web site to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The Nova Scotia photos are about 1/2 down the page.

http://www.philwinterphotography.com/maine_nova_scotia.html

We were there in September. At Peggy's Cove I could never get a shot of the lighthouse without other people. I

finally just took what I could get and relied on the clone tool!

Enjoy your trip!

A lot would depend on what you like to photography...Peggy's Cove is was too touristy for most, but if landscape is your thing, skip it anway, and go to Prospect, and walk the 3-4 miles of the shore towards sunset, it is well worth the time. If you wish more picturesque towns, I second Mahone Bay, Lunenburg and even Shelburne, if you are going through the South Shore. On the eastern shore there is a restored village at Sherbrooke, if you like historical re-enactments...and of course there is Halifax...

Difficult to quibble with the recommendations for the areas south and west of Halifax. You can beat the crowds at Peggy's Cove by getting there at or before dawn, but once the first tour buses arrive you've had it- and they keep coming right into the evening. I tend to prefer the somewhat more remote shore settlements than the tourist centres of Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, though they are the places to stay in. For photographs try Prospect, Blue Rocks and the Stonehursts, these last two east of Lunenburg.

The one thing I might add though is that these recommendations are going to help you get to/from Cape Breton which is in the opposite direction. Although I'm revisiting Nova Scotia this autumn and areas east of Halifax are on my itinerary, I haven't any direct experience to support a recommendation yet. I have however decided to try the Marine Drive, staying near Sherbrooke, and a few days on PEI, just based on image searches and the sort of things other photographers have turned up with

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Grande Pre. It's an old Acadian settlement where they were deported from by the british. There is a beautiful little chrch, gardens and buildings. That time of year it shouldn't be busy.

Point Pleasant Park in the city is a must, and go see Shakespeare by the sea (check about camera restrictions but I don't think it's a problem). There are amazing gardens in the middle of the city called the public gardens. Right next to that is the citidal hill, an old fortress in the hill overlooking the harbour.

On a non photographic note:

Go to Le Cave for cheesecake or a meal (it's inside an old monestary with an office building built overtop of it).

On a Monday go to "economy shoe shop" for free jazz.

I used to live there for a few years and always want to go back now. I hope your trip is good.