Service value comparison (for Leica R, Melbourne)

shute

My heart broke when my only SLR, a Leica R6 broke yesterday. And I am going to NZ two weeks later.

I've searched on photo.net and found the following service recourses in Melbourne:

*** Adeal

*** Camera Clinic

*** Vic Plant at the Camera Exchange

*** Jorg Heumuller

I know it sounds wield but, does anyone know who of them provides better service with a relatively lower price?

Does anyone know how to contact Jorg Heumuller?

And finally, is there anywhere else I could go for a try?

Many thanks in advance.

Shute

I doubt Jorg can repair your camera in less than two weeks time. He's busy with his business nowadays.

<p>

Camera Clinic or Vic Plant would be your best bet. I've never dealt with Adeal with repairs so no idea about their turnaround time. Does Adeal have in-house camera technician?

<p>

Good luck,

<br>

Kris

Kris,

Thank you for reply.

So far I talked to Vic and Camera Clinic.

Vic is very nice, but I don't know if the price he offered is reasonable. I just do not know. I've never have my camera repaired before.

In Camera Clinic they asked for $49 something for a quote! And I could only talk to the receptionists.

As I just graduated, I'm a little bit regret to start with Leica, for everything Leica is just so expensive.

Well, thanks again.

Shute

"Mike H (Melbourne Australia) , Aug 04, 2008; 07:11 a.m.

Shu,

go to the Camera Exchange and talk to Dave Shaw and to Vic. Between them they will sort out your problem and in my experience the prices are as good as you will get.

Regards

Mike"

ditto...

If Vic wasn't confident then I'd take it to Adeal, the Leica importer, but I'd probably start with Vic.

JJ

I had excellent help from Jorg servicing an M2 with pretty quick turn around. I don't think it is worth compromising to look

for a good price, and as Mike H says it is likely to be reasonable at Camera Exchange anyway. Jorg charged me $350 for a

CLA of an M2 not touched since 1977 and not fully serviced since 1965. I think that is very reasonable and seems to

compare favourably with international prices from countries where there is more of this work. As Kris mentioned this is not

Jorg's main activity now but he might be interested still, but I don't know about reflex cameras and supplies etc. Tony

Salce of phot.net put me onto him.

Hi Shu Adeal will send it to Leica Solms , you could do this yourself and have it repaired properly.

My advise is there is no one here in Australia capable of a service like Leica Solms.

A fine camera like your R6 will serve you for many years to come if treated right.

A vote for Adeal, they do have a tech on-site (Andrew?). Lovely, genuine and capable guy.

Gave my R6.2 a fairly major overhaul in April this year. Only had a delay waiting for some parts to come in from overseas. Also had very good email support from the front office staff on a number of occasions.

Very happy with the results...but not cheap ;)

Graeme.

I've had my R6 (bought new in 1989) back to Adeal a few times - Vic Plant was the service manager / technician there for some time and did the repairs on my camera - he knows what he's doing!!! My last repair (after he left) involved a mirror box replacement and CLA which took a long time (parts from Germany twice) and cost some $850. Ouch!

I don't know what your camera's problem is but I think you may do well to look to borrow / rent something else in the meantime. While my R6 was being repaired Adeal loaned me a R9 for a few weeks while I did a trek - they may do the same for you if you ask very nicely!

Ian (Sydney)