Two Lenses for Europe Vacation

rogernoel

Roger!

I live in Scotland but it is on the fringes of Europe in sooooo many ways. However, it does make for relatively easy access to the mainland of the continent :) In visits to France and Italy in my recent digital phase I have used the Sigma 10-20 and a Nikkor 24-120 with polarisers available. The 70-300 has stayed in the rucksack. In visits to Edinburgh, London and other places in between the same two shorter lenses have been used a lot.

My partner would be heartbroken if I didn't make our vacations a photo shoot from my point of view. Otherwise her research into local wines, beers and local recipes would be severely restricted by her having to indulge in the lost art of conversation! It's a 50/50 deal from my point of view and a win/win one from hers.

Enjoy it all but leave the long lens at home.

Best wishes

Pete :)

If you start with the types of subjects and circumstances it becomes easy to decide on the best lens choices. Inside museums and churches the 17-55mm is not wide enough. The 10-22mm is a better choice. For people photography a small and unobtrusive tele works well. My first choice is the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 lens, but your 28-135mm would be my second choice.

Your camera provides excellent IQ at ISO 1600 so there is much less need for a f1.4 prime lens. A flash of any size that can be bounced off a wall or ceiling is a big help indoors as tripods are both more cumbersome and often prohibited while flash is usually an option. If the flash is used only for fill in dark churches and museums your batteries will last a long time, possibly the duration of your trip with just one set.

>> To all of you that are going to Europe: I would take your fastest lens. There are many churches and palaces where flashes aren't allowed and may not be able to setup a tripod.

When subject monument is not an issue (e.g. you want the church to be focused and don't mind if the people will smear) than IS is far more effective than a fast aperture. Moreover, you may want to stop the lens down for more DoF and then, the faster aperture becomes meaningless.

You have not mentioned a tripod but my recommendation is to get a small and light one. The Gitzo 1550T might be enough but you may want to consider the 1541T as well.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Another vote for Sigma 10-20 and Canon 17-55/2.8 IS.

Leave the tripod at home. With the 17-55 set at f/2.8 and IS turned on and the camera at 1600 iso you can shoot in near darkness. I've shot inside dimly lit museums with my Tamron 17-50/2.8 with good results, and I don't have IS. Yes you do get some noise but who cares. I've shot inside churches and buildings with my Sigma 10-20 balanced on a pew. I've shot nightscenes with the camera balanced on a railing, on a canal bridgedeck. Tripods smack of photoshoot, they are cumbersome, don't bring one. Improvise. Bring a cable release though, you don't wanna have the self-timer beeper going off inside a church. Definitely leave the hotshoe flash at home.

Thank you for all of the comments and responses. I am going to take the Sigma 10-20 and Canon 17-55 2.8 lenses. I have polarzing filters for both and will also have lens hoods for both. I have five 4 GB cards and three 2 GB cards. I will need them shooting in RAW and JPEG. I really enjoyed all of the input.