D300 manual cleaning/servicing.. how sensitive??

charles_k

hi

if anyone has had their D300 image sensor cleaned by nikon.. was just wondering how sensitive this procedure is.. i havent gone for any

servicing aside form software upgrades for my other digicams and am quite hesitant but seems i might need to as i have spots on my

images.. have checked the sensor and looks like there is some particles there that could be the reason.. the auto clean function and

manual cleaning using blower doesnt seem to work :( any other suggestions before i finally give it for cleaning?

will try to attach some sample images and box out those spots.. the spots are especially clear on F22 and fades out as the f stop

lowers..

thanks

-charlie

Charles, you have got to learn how to do this yourself. Otherwise, you will always be dropping off, or sending off, your

camera somewhere and paying a fortune to have someone else perform a task that will take you only a few minutes to

perform, should you decide to do it yourself. It is really, really, easy to clean your sensor. The hardest part is deciding

which sensor cleaning products to use, as they all proclaim to be the best.

I recommend reading the below article and the many other subject related sites on the Internet. Bottom line, at some

point, you will have to acquiesce to doing it yourself, no matter your reluctance. I felt very empowered after the first time

I did it. Now, recalling the feeling makes me feel silly. It's just a common place, routine procedure, as far as I am

concerned.

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

I am also having the same type of spots in my D300. This I presume is due to the condensation of water vapour due to high humidity,. This cannot be done away with incamera self cleaning system. I have used the SENSOR SWAP with ECLIPSE liquid on my D200 and it works perfect. Can I use the same size sensor swap with Eclipse on my D300 also? Can some body advise me on this.? Thanks.

I had few spots on my d300 sensor (aa)(at f22 and when I was looking for them) and 2-3 passes with arctic

butterfly took care of them very fast. The whole procedure lasted no longer than a minute, not counting setting

the lens to infinity and shooting at f22 into a white ceiling of course.

I would recommend you get this tool and use it whenever you see spot that you think should not be there, before

it hardens down and makes itself harder to remove. As it has been so far I do not believe I will ever have to wet

clean the sensor (aa) on this camera.

- sergey

ok thanks guys.. i'll check those out.. at least you gave me some courage to touch the insides of my camera.. i'll let you

know what happens.. i hope i am able to acquire these cleaners via internet or somewhere here.. as i am in singapore..

thanks

For my D300, I used first the Dust Aid and honestly, it is good but not good enough to clean your sensor when it does has condensation. I will start using the Swabs + Eclipse 2 ( which is the one recommended for the D300 ). Do not use anyother type of Eclipse or Swabs that are not "2" so you will damage your sensor.

• 2 months later...