The 9180 is superb . It also doesn't guzzle ink. I left mine for 6 1/2 weeks without printing anything, sent it a photo and it printed right straightaway -- no clogging or cleaning.A local friend with a comparable Epson had to admit that my prints were absolutely sharp, the colors right-on and after he spent an entire weekend and many cartridges trying to unclog his Epson, admits that on this, I have the better on him.

Right after I bought it, I thought maybe I should have waited and gotten its 'little brother' the 8850. It's very good but I no longer question the money I spent. If I'm going to have good cameras, lenses, take the time to try to get good photos, why would I skimp on the printing? I'm happy with the 9180.

Conni

I've been using Epson for a long time w/no issues... I currently have the 2400 and love it...(calibrated monitor)

all my prints come out awesome. Now I'm considering the 3880 for even bigger work. I think the B&W out of the

Epson is some of the best I've seen. Here's some reviews... http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Ja93

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=20349733

"I left mine for 6 1/2 weeks without printing anything, sent it a photo and it printed right straightaway -- no clogging or

cleaning"

My experience is similar. HP recommends leaving this printer on all the time. Doing this, once a day it appears to

wake up, I assume running a small amount of ink through all the nozzles. Following this guidance seems to make

the printer impervious to clogs. The only thing, when I hear this daily cycle it feels like it's nagging me, saying: "Hey,

when was the last time you printed something...".

I'm an absolute novice at printing, but fwiw am very happy with it's color and black and white output, just using HP's

Photoshop plug-in: "Photosmart Pro Print".

Of the 9180 and the 8850, only the 9180 has Ethernet connectivity, which we've found indespensible. Coupled with

our router it means any of our 3 computers can send output to it without issues.

If you haven't already, you can read up on it at Photo-i. Besides the review, there is also a comparison between this

printer and it's Canon and Epson competition. It did compare favourably. Just going from memory I believe it scored

highest overall, was ahead slightly in some regards, behind slightly in others.

Here's the B9180 review:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/HP%20B9180/page-1.htm

The comparitive review:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html

There is no clear choice really. All printers can clog or run forever without clogging...you never know. I've used an Epson 2400 since it came out...no clogs...no problems...wonderful prints. I'm a nature photographer and I was used to Velvia and B&W darkroom...I've been very happy with this printer. It might clog tomorrow...who knows.

A pro that I know just told me that he let his Epson 3800 sit for a year, and it still printed flawlessly on the first attempt. K3 inks are

awesome. That's even better than Epson claims, they recommend replacing the opened inks after 6 months if they haven't been used up.

BTW, he's using a Mac Quad, running 10.5.4.

If you've been happy, why switch? Additionally, HP have poured big bux into their R&D (just like the others I guess) and they're inks and papers are nice and stable.

In the past I had both Epson and Canon models, although that was awhile ago. But I swore after those that I'd never get another one from either if I could avoid it, because of the clogging problems.

I like HP's inkjets for the same reason I like they're laser printers: The head's in the cartridge (in the lasers the drum is in the cartridge). I think that's a brilliant design move, and I've never looked back.

Of course, I also love the prints my HPs make. When I do go for a larger-format printer, I'm sure it'll be an HP.

Okay, enough said. Whatever you end up with, I just hope it serves you well!

Never used an HP, but I have an 1290s A3+. I've had it for 4 years and it never clogged. This last year is the first time I have left printing on it. I was daft to leave it that long with the cartridges in, after about 3rd of a carbide everything was working 100% again.

So on the clogging front, I think that Epson is great. I've just got the R2880, so I can't really speak long term on that front. but very nice printer.

I've had an HP 9180 for about a year now and it is nothing short of phenomenally wonderful. Better than the Epson 2200 in

many ways. The best b&w and grey-scale I've ever seen from a printer. Check out the pros and cons on the Yahoo HP9180

group. Lot's of terrific information and informed opinions.

Matt

The 3800 is superb . It also doesn't guzzle ink. I left mine for 6 1/2 weeks without printing anything, sent it a photo and it printed right straightaway -- no clogging or cleaning.A local friend with a comparable Hp had to admit that my prints were absolutely sharp, the colors right-on and after he spent an entire weekend and many cartridges trying to unclog his Hp, admits that on this, I have the better on him.

Right after I bought it, I thought maybe I should have waited and gotten its 'little brother' the 2400. It's very good but I no longer question the money I spent. If I'm going to have good cameras, lenses, take the time to try to get good photos, why would I skimp on the printing? I'm happy with the 3800, 4800 and the 7880.

- all depend of the point of view - ; )

• 5 months later...

<p>I have a HP Pro B8330, and when it prints well it prints well, but I am not overly impressed with it. The software drivers are clunky, frustrating and don't interact that well with Photoshop meaning lots of wasted prints.  HP have tried to design it to be used by novices, so it seems the effort has gone into pre-cooked options, not recongnisng that those that use a 13x19 printer are likely to be serious users wanting to print from PS.<br>

Lately it has started printing with a 'faded' band just before the trailing edge of the paper. This is even with new cartriges. Not sure what the cause is, but HP is pretty rapidly sapping my confidence.</p>