Is it a real white face rolleiflex 2.8F?

yongming_xing

My references at home don't seem to deal with this serial number and model as something connected. The 2,9xx,xxx seem to be assigned to SL66 models and from the period 1966-82. A reference was made to the series related to 3.5F models where blocks of numbers were used but skips made because of other blocks already started or run at 2.3, 2.32, .24, 2.5 and 2,700,000 a jump was then made to 2,800,000 and continued from there. There was also a group of 2.8A (type 1) with odd shutter ranges with ser numbers that could fall into this category that were found to need replacement lenses and this led to some slightly different assorted combinations being re-released after alteration. MX sync was installed on these in the modification process. There was nothing definitive in my materials but perhaps someone has some insight to help track this down. If you find an answer, please post it for us. Good Luck!

Yes the 295 series is the last series of Fs though the vast majority of them were made with Xenotar lenses. There is a

previous white face series that had serial numbers that were 274xxxx and it seems most of those were Planars. I do know

that 2955593 had a Planar but that is the highest numbered Planar 2.8F I have ever seen on ebay so yours is the highest I

have seen now.

Did you buy the camera on ebay? Would you let us see the ad if you did? I would be suprised if your camera went through

ebay and I didn't see it as I watch for the 295s and have watched 112 of them go through ebay in the last 3 years. Less

than 10 of them had Planars, so yours is rare and quite valuable if in mint condition.

Ok I see the one you are looking at on ebay though you say you just bought it, it doesn't come up till August 4th. On the

one hand that will probably be held down in price due to the coating problem with the Planar on the other hand a Planar

already has a bit of a flare problem and this won't help that. And due to the rarity of Planars on this late 295 series camera I

personally would be a bit worried about buying it. Why does such a late camera have coating loss? You are right to

research the serial number on the Planar and see if you can determine for sure that it is supposed to be in the camera or

was it made earlier. just my opinion.

OK I just looked at pictures of a 2.8F I used to own that was a white face 2479xxx series camera with a Planar and the

Planar serial number on that camera is 5391478. Now that would seem much later than the one on the ebay camera that

says it is much newer. Now I would be very suspicious that is a Planar put into the wrong body to try to increase it's value.

I'm no expert on these matters, but I have a 2.8F with a serial number of 2448014 (so presumably earlier than the one

you've 'bought'), and it has a Planar taking lens with a serial number of 4189185 (which one would expect to be later than

the one you're looking at). Perhaps Dennis is on the right track?

• 1 month later...