Are slaves affected by high trigger voltages?

john_fryatt1

Hi, I am just getting together a basic setup to try a bit of nature flash photography. I plan to use a couple of

older (i.e. cheap) flash guns triggered by slaves.

The config. would be a radio trigger on the camera firing one of the flashes, and the other one (or two) being

fired by optical slaves.

There is a known issue with use of older flashes on digital cameras, and the high trigger voltage damaging the

cameras electronics. This is why, as well as for flexibilitiy of positioning, I am using the radio trigger.

While thinking about this it just occurred to me to wonder if slaves/triggers are affected, i.e. damaged, by high

trigger voltages in older flashes. I've never seen anything mentioned about this. I guess slaves are relatively

simple devices compared to a digital camera, but does that mean they are more robust?

What do you think?

I've been doing this professionally for over 30 years and never heard of concerns or damaged equipment from high trigger

voltages before I purchased my medium format digital back. I believe that the circuits in slaves are much more robust than

some of digital cameras/backs.

Rich Quindry

www.Quindry.com

Yes, trigger voltages can damage your radio triggers. Skyports are rated at 50 volts. You will need to check with the manufacturer of the slave that you have. Even if they work at first, a high voltage can eventually do damage over time.

I have a cheap optical slave that I use for my high voltage flash. I dont know what its rated for, but it seems to be working just fine after 2 years. And like I said it was cheap. Dont take chances with stuff that you would feel in the pocket book and would kick yourself later for.

Dan