well currently, and couldn't really find what I wanted. Currently I

have used Velvia almost exclusively and do most of my photography in

the early mornings and late evenings, or on overcast days. However I

am soon going on a hiking trip and I am looking for a 100 speed film

which will be better suited to taking some imgaes during the middle

part of the day in sunnier conditions. I will also take velvia, but

it doesn't cope well with these higher contrast conditions. Any

recommendations please.

I also use Velvia most of the time, but the only film I like that is lower in contrast is the Kodak E200. It does very well in poor light like you are describing and is pretty good about grain. I do not like the E100 in the sun at all except for wildlife. Provia is also OK, but there is just something I never really liked about the film, although most people like it just fine. When I am shooting in these conditions I still use Velvia because even though it is high contrast, it still seems to be the best at holding detail in the dark and light areas. I am sure most people will answer Provia. I have tried the RMS and it may work very well for what you are wanting to do also. This is the Fuji film that can be shot between 100-1000. I have really only tried it pused hard, but I remember liking the colors very well and I was shooting in a very high contrast situation (but not the grain, but I was pushing to 800). Shot at 100 it may be just what you are looking for.

I've tried lower-contrast films for my outdoor hiking/scenic work, but always come back to Velvia. A polarizer and/or fill-flash helps avoid the blown-out reflections and dark shadows of midday light (in case you haven't tried this). If you must have 100-speed, I'd use either Provia F or E100VS, which is about as contrasty as normal Velvia but probably less so than Velvia pushed a stop in bright sun.

Do keep Provia F100 in mind (and in your camera bag) because it is, IMO, THE 100 speed slide film at this time, and it pushes extremely well to 1 stop (maybe even 2 stops). This film's grain is practically invisible when rated at 100 iso, and still hard to detect at a 1 stop push. It is also very contrast friendly. Forget about your previous impressions with the older Provia 100--this new film is radically different. As for E100S or SW, I've practically forgotten about them in light of the Provia F, but when I used either of these Ektachromes, I preferred to rate them at 125 iso.

I have been using the new Kodak 100 VS (Vivid Saturation) with good results. I recently went on a hike in northern New Mexico and used both the Kodak 100 VS and Velvia with a polarizer in clear sunlight. The brilliant blue of the New Mexico skies, the greens and the other colors were all very similar. The contrast also seemed similar. With a 5X lupe, I could tell only a minor in the granularity when looking at the blue skies. I hope this helps.