Dioptric Correction Lens For OM-10

User_502260

With a little experimenting I see that it is easier for me to focus with my OM-10 cameras if I put a Konica -1 diopter

correction piece in front of the finder. The problem is that the Konica piece is a little too small to fit the OM-10. Is

there a diopter correction lens made for any other camera which would also fit an OM-10? Does anyone know where

I might find an original Olympus piece?

Hello Jeff,

You should be able to source an eyecup which has the facility to insert the diopter correction (om fitting). Hunt around in camera shops in their clearnce bins. There is a ring in the centre of the eye cup which you can unscrew and drop in the correction. Sourcing that correction glass may be difficult these days. But you might have luck in checking with you optictian.

I find the OM version of the correction are quiet rare, but prefer the eyecup verion of the correction a better option.

Is a -1 the correct correction for your eye?

If you are saying -1, this indicates that you are short sighted. So you wear glasses for seeing distant objects clearly?

What does your prescription from your otician say?

Good luck in your search.

At this point I only wear glasses if I need to read fine print. I use drug store reading glasses. Eventually I will need to get real glasses. A few years ago I started noticing that it was easier for me to focus with some cameras than with others. The one I had a problem with first was the Konica Autoreflex T4, with the TC-X not far behind. The Minolta SRT 101 and 201 are OK and the easiest one for me to focus now is the Canon F-1. I guess that's why I have been using that camera more. I can use a Minolta X-700 if the light is reasonable good but I would love to find a -1 diopter for it. When I use a Nikon Pronea S I can slide the diopter correcter all the way to one side and it looks fine. In most cases I use that camera on AF but if I get close I use manual focusing. I think that the eyepiece of the OM-10 is the same size as that of the rest of the OM line with the possible exception of the OM2000. My favorite lenses to use with the OM-10 are the 50/3.5 and 100/2.8 Zuikos. I will look for the eyecup. I read somewhere that the eyecup must be removed each time the camera is loaded so that would slow things down a little.

Jeff, yes the eyecup interferes with opening the back of the camera. I used to use mine alot when I was shooting mostly artsy B&W stuff. I started doing modeling shoots where I would blow through 3 rolls in an hour and it just became a hassle and one more thing to loose. If you shoot slow and are prone to leaving a roll in the camera for weeks, it's probably a great solution.

I have one new Olympus Eyecup 2 (does not interfere with back cover) with built in -1 diopter (I also have a few -5 for the very near sighted). . As I understand it, the non-adjustable OM eyepieces have -0.5 built in, so a diopter marked -1 is really -0.5, added to the eyepiece power equals -1. The Konica diopter may or may not work the same way. Write me omtech1 AT verizon.net if you're interested in the eyecup (diopter is permanently installed, not meant to be taken out). John www.zuiko.com

Many cameras such as Nikon are set up so the screen; meter dial; diodes; shutter speeds "appear" to be 1 meter away. By "appear" I mean if you focus on the aerial image <b>thru the eyepiece</b> with another slr it will be "in focus" when the lens is set to 1 meter. With his settup many camera makers say the camera has a built in -1 diopter. Thus a plain glass eyepiece on some cameras is called the -1 diopter; since the system is when its in place. Thus a custom eyepiece thats cut by an optician as a +1 diopter makes the system 0 diopters; ie the aerial image no is at infinity. I mention all this because its real common for folks to be off by 1 diopter when them order a custom lens for a camera.

• 2 weeks later...