Photoshop Plugins: What do you use?

Hello Everyone,

First time posting, always pulled this place up in Google searches :) First, a little about me, I shoot with a

Canon 1Ds Mark III and love it :) I am a couture photographer and have been doing most if not all of my

post-processing manually in Photoshop or Lightroom.

I use Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom v1.4.1. However, I am tired of manually fixing skin, softening it, etc. all of

you I'm sure have read the same skin softening tutorials I have (median v/s gaussian, etc).

I've begun looking at the commercial Photoshop plugins and made the mistake of buying HumanSoftware's Autosmooth.

Unfortunately a bit too overzealous and too quick to buy something, I was VERY unhappy with the product's results.

I thought to slow down and ask everyone here what they recommend and use as /Fashion Photographers/

Price is not a concern. Can someone give me a list of the "Professional" level plugins/software that is used out

there? I am currently looking at OnOneSoftware's Phototools. But all they really market on their web site to is

Wedding photographers. As a fashion photographer, do I care when making a buying decision whether they market to

Wedding Photographers or Fashion?

Any recommendations, experience, or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated before I throw money at anything else.

Please advise.

Hey Christopher, ever heard the term work smart, not hard?

BTW, your comment offered no substance especially since someone already mentioned Kubota before you. A comment like this makes you look far more unprofessional looking for a flame war than me asking the community for reviews and feedback on the Photoshop plugins they use.

Alissa, IMO don't overdo the actions. It looks a bit silly very quickly. I prefer a more natural look. As a customer I would take offence if a photographer "went to town" on my skin in Photoshop. I generally only use Noiseware for reducing noise of high ISO shots from my 5D when really necessary, use Kubota's digital fill-flash action and maybe a couple of his B&W actions but usually I make my own actions for regular/tedious tasks, such as various B&W conversions, sharpening, curves, borders etc. I never smooth skin on any photos any more, although I did a couple in the past but mainly to figure out how to do it correctly.

As an everyday user of PS plugins, that helped me create my style, i recommend the Kodak Digital pack,

exceptionnal for enhancing the coulours/tones and softening the skin/tissues, Cybia Colour Pack is also useful for

two or three of its possibilities (especially the grey scale, the tint correction, but the contrast leveling is a bit harsh),

but according to me, the Nik Color Efex Pro Pack (Stylizing & Traditionnal) is the most amazing. It covers all fx from

the most classic ones (B&W, contrast, softness), to the most extravagant, which sometimes can be useful.

But as David says, sometimes personnal skills are far more efficient...

Nik Software (recommended several times above) allows you to demo their products through online downloads. Though not

a pro, I am a fan of their Color Efex Pro and Dfine products.

I agree with David Bell's suggestion to avoid overdoing actions, but find that application of any of these effects on a new

layer, combined with a layer mask to selectively add / blend the effects into the main work, is a very versatile and time-

efficient method of working (particularly with subtle skin smoothing).

• 3 weeks later...