Nokin D60 with AF-S DX VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED lens

manoj_philip

Hi,

Can anybody please let me know if i can use the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX lens with my Nikon D60

camera?

I've read that when mounted on a D60, this lens blocks the built-in flash, resulting in a shadow in the lower

centre of the image.

Let me know if its a good idea to buy this lens, though I have a 18-55 kit lens. I can buy a 55-200 but wanted to

avoid changing lens.

Manoj

The fact that the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX lens will block a portion of the light from the D60 built-in flash should not deter you from buying the lens if you want a one-lens superzoom solution. What it should do, provided your budget allows, is entice you to also purchase an accessory Nikon Speedlight to use in the hotshoe of your D60. Even the small SB400 will be an improvement over the little built-in flash, although the SB-600 would give you much more flexibility for flash photos.

Of course, it's very easy for me to spend *your* money! :-)

Manoj - put simply, in the combination of D60 and 18-200 you have pretty much the most flexible consumer/entry end DSLR setup you can get. Marked step up from P&S but still a relatively compact package and one lens that does everything reasonably well. So yes, even before I make more detaile comments, you are talking about a very 'natural' match of body and lens there.

I'm sure one day you might want to explore some of the additional features and quality available from more advanced bodies and faster lenses but as a place to start you're going pretty well.

On the flash issue, as Michael says SB-400 is a cheap, small and effective solution to your problem (one which I would not worry too much about anyway). SB-600 is much bigger and while great (and allows bounce in both portrait and landscape which SB400 doesn't) it will significantly lessen the 'compactness' of your overall setup.

However I see a decent tripod rather than a flash as your next step in terms of investment - and don't go too cheap as even though you have a relatively light setup, from bitter experience I can tell you that a cheapie tripod will sag when you have your 18-200 fully extended on it.

One last piece of advice is don't get rid of the 18-55 (I presume it's the VR version). Its a handy little second option to have if you want to go even smaller/lighter than the 18-200 and some people say it has marginally better image quality as well.

It makes shadow on my D80 as well when I shoot at wide angle. When you use a long lens like that, I would reccomend to buy SB-600. It make much different images.

18-200 VR + SB-600 is the only way if you don't want to change lenses! I have and love both of them.

Bernard,

Appreciate your suggestions. I will definitely won't get rid of the 18-55 (VR) as the results are really very good and its quite handy. Wished to buy a 55-200 initially but thought of avoiding changing lens to keep it dust free. Moreover i'm sure frequent changing will be quite irritating :-)

Think i'll decide on a 18-200 with a SB400. SB600 is quite cumbersome for my D60.

Thanks others for their comments.

Cheers

Manoj

Manoj

I think you may invest some more to get the SB-600 although it's a bit bulky than SB-400.

I think SB-400 power is till not strong and high enough to avoid long lenses shadow. I ever bought SB-400 ( then returned to exchange the SB-600) so I know its output is very little stronger than the buitl-in flash. And more disadvantage, the SB-400 can not bounce lights to ceiling when you set your camera at vertical dimension ( portrait frame). (However, it's very compact anyway)

Take advantages of bouncing flash in 3 dimensions when you use an external flash like SB600/800.