Am I saying this correctly?

lola_gunch

I purchased Vivitar 285HV today but it is missing the diffuser (piece of glass I think) I have been searching

the Internet trying to find one to no avail so far!

I see references to "wide angle diffuser" but I don't know if is the correct term for the diffuser or not,

does anyone know?

Also, are these diffusers different for each flash model or would one from a Vivitar 283 flash work?

All help would be very much appreciated.

No, the 283 wide angle diffuser does not fit the 285. It is a piece of plastic. If you purchased the flash new, you should demand that it be sent to you. I lost mine once, and got another directly from Vivitar, but that was before they stopped making the 285s and started again.

Dan Ferrel- If the heat will melt the Plexiglas why doesn't it melt the the original plastic diffuser, Frank Skomial implied it was plastic?

Nadine Ohara- This is one of the older Vivitar 285 HV flashes, not the new one they put out a few years ago. As for Vivitar, I've sent them two emails and they never answered either one! I'm afraid that company is no longer interested in flash customers.

Lola,

Sorry but I posted incorrect info on the Vivitar bankruptcy. The parent company is in backruptcy but that doesn't include Vivitar. Vivitar is however for sale at this point. Here's a better link to a Barron's article on the bankruptcy.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/07/08/syntax-brillian-files-chapter-11-shares-now-worthless/