Shen Hao Quality

wishingwellphotos

Hi John,

I have had my Shen Hao for about 2 years now and it has served me well. I have used it in plus 30 to minus 30 and it hasn't let me down. It was a bit stiff in the extreme cold but what isn't. I have been happy with the build and the ease of use, I haven't had any issues with tightening it down, or it working loose. I'm sure if you wanted to spend more than double on say an Ebony then you would notice a difference. You won't be disapointed if you go with a Shen Hao especially for the price.

Paul

I too had a tachihara that I sold and bought a Shen Hao. In my case the Tachihara was an old and much used version whereas the Shen looked brand new.

The only problem I have is that the lensboard opening is so tight that Technika lens boards do not fit and Wista ones are tight but no name generic ones fit in perfectly as do home made wooden ones. Shen Hao seems more robust and has more movements and has interchangeable bellows for very wide angle. The Tachihara is lighter and seems to be able to use a wider lens with its bellows than the Shen Hao with its normal bellows.

If you still have your Tachihara you may try installing nylon washers on all the knobs, it makes it so you can tighten them more. You may not need to buy a different brand if that works. I would have kept my if it was in better condition but have no regrets getting the one I have now.

<p>I've had mine for about 2.5 years now as well and love it to bits.</p>

<p>Only one snag, though: once, liberating it from its bag, the wood split along the grain by the top of the clasp so I emerged with camera in one hand and huge splinter of wood in the other. Fortunately it was dead easy to glue the thing back into place and it's not happened again, but that was a wake-up call as to how careful one must be with the woodwork. </p>

<p>Had some OK <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/spodzone/sets/72157600014660561/">results</a> off it, at least!</p>

• 5 weeks later...

John,

You've apparently made comparison between models. I tried this by comparing Shen-Hao web pages and think I have

at least a partial list:

- HZX has stainless steel fittings; TZ has aluminum

- HZX has rear shift; TZ has front shift.

- TZ has about 8mm more front rise.

- HZX has about twice the amount of rear swing

- TZ has only rear base tilt; HZX has both base tilt and center tilt

- TZ has about twice the front swing.

- TZ has slightly more rear rise.

- and while it seems inexplicable, bellows draw of the TZ is reported to be 110->360 compared to 50->360 for the HZX.

Have I missed for feature differences? Other factors in your choice?