Camera of the month

Cool, I always enjoy your writeups but this one especially. I just put a roll of film in my own SL35 to take it out for a little exercise. With that stop-down metering button it's almost like using a Spotmatic with Zeiss glass. :)

My father was a big fan of Rollei equipment, including their SLRs. He used an SL35 as well as the SL35E and SL35M models and managed to accumulate many of the nicer lenses, some in both Voigtlander and Rollei branding. I often use them as manually-metered lenses on my Canon EOS cameras with an QBM-EOS adapter ring. Rollei lenses can be surprisingly inexpensive on the used market when compared their Contax-branded cousins, even though in most cases they're optically identical.

Hi Tony - excellent images. I really enjoyed this set. Love the red on the rocks from the 400UC. I used this film extensively on my honeymoon in Santorini and was very pleased with the colors, especially the reds in the vulcanic beaches. It's a pity it costs an arm and a leg these days.

The black and whites are great, really like the weathered, abandoned Falcon and am really impressed with the fine grain on the Neopan 1600. I always knew Neopan was one of the best of what's available for fine grain, but the look of your 1600 exceeded my expectations for a film of this speed. I have only ventured up to 400 in the 120 format.

Well done. Keep the camera of the month alive for all of us to enjoy.

Tony,

Great Stuff... I've always admired this model and there was a time when they were not so well known. Nowadays, they command a very high price... and even the (although well made) Singapore models are

commanding better prices. Your images are just super and I too, really liked the Falcon and some of the dried seabed shots were excellent! I've read and enjoyed an articel in German about the demise of the German photo industry and this model is explained in detail and as you so duly noted too little too late, but the kinship with the Spotmatic was intentional.

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Rollei_QBM_dt.html