D300 AF Issues at high speed! Help!

darrenbeattyphotography

Ok all. I need some help! And i have no problem asking for it! I'm a bit embarrassed, but hell, I'm stuck. So here it

is. I shoot extremely high speed roadracing here in the seattle washington area. For the last year I've been shooting

with a D200/mb200 and a Sigma 80-400mm lens. I have had great results. But of coarse, I go to upgrade, and I've

shot two events and I must be missing something on my autofocus setting.

The issue is with AF activation. Sometimes when the shutter is pushed halfway, theres a delay it seems. Or it wont

pick up the racer right away. Hell I was told it was fast, and my D200 is a BREEZE compared to the D300. I have it

on focus-release, 51point 3-D for the area, and i have the AF-C setting going. Unlike the D200 there isn't an option to

focus in the middle of the frame, or to the closest object. Why? I hate to spend money on this body, when

yesterday when shooting an event, a third of the way through I was so frustrated with a over 50% delete ratio, i just

gave up. I went back to the D200 and was able to keep 95% of my shots.

Well before I confuse people, please chime in. I thank you in advance for your help.

The D300 newb.

You can focus in the middle of the frame on the D300. I would either use single-point AF or dyanmic-area AF but with fewer AF points, preferably 9 or 21. Additionally, your AF-C priority should probably be on release + focus or release priority (Custom Setting a1).

Shun, Arthur, John, thank you!

Shun, yes, i have it on release and focus. Sorry, camera is not in front of me, and the terminology is different between the two bodies (figures with nikon :-/

Arthur, I will try that. Lessening, the work of the sensor. I have the focus tracking on normal. I will turn it off. I only left it at normal because the D200 is on normal. I tried mimmicking the settings from the 200 but its just too different. Also, an issue that I'm having. I have it center weighted because thats where all of my subject are "supposed" to be. Yet, through the viewfinder, the red focus point seems to always start on the left side. I dont know how this happened, but after a "master settings reset" it still did not go away. Ideas?

Also, should i have the focus wrap around setting on, or off? Geez. So embarrassed.

Thanks guys.<div>00QKcn-60495684.jpg.fd4e943ad843dc8f68dec76ca2d8f668.jpg</div>

The D200 (Multi-CAM 1000), D2X/D2H (Multi-CAM 2000) and D3, D300, D700 (Multi-CAM 3500) have very different AF systems. When you switch from the D200 to the D300, there is plenty to learn.

The Group-Dynamic and Closes Subject AF modes are gone from the Multi-CAM 3500. Instead, you have 15 cross-type AF points in the center 3 columns. I would try to use those AF points as much as possible.

I prefer to have my AF point wrap around on so that I can move from one side to the opposite side quickly. Another tip is that if you press on the center of the multi-selection pad on the back, it jumps back to the center AF point; it works that way on all of the above DSLRs.

ok, i will try these things. all i know is it has potential, because the photos that came out; were beautifully sharp. I always had the saturation cranked on the 200, but i have it set to normal on the 300 because its just so contrasty in my opinion. Also on a sunny day, I was shooting at ISO 100 with my exposure value down 2 stops. Damn! This camera is fast! I cant wait to get this fixed and see how it does in some low light situations. John, Shun, thank you for your time guys. I am very much so noticing the huge difference in the AF system. I just "hope" i can cure the lag. If you have any other ideas, down the road, im listening.<div>00QKfL-60509684.jpg.1e2f56c7c5293d303fdd4bef225a2927.jpg</div>

I checked "Thom's page" by default....... look what i found.

(referring to the AF system)

"Which brings me to my point: more so than any previous Nikon camera, I find myself changing autofocus settings more often with the D300 (and D3) than ever before. There's no "does it all" setting you're going to dial in and forget with this system.

So what's the caveat? The D300 has a little catch to its autofocus system that the D3 doesn't. The initial acquisition of autofocus seems to have just a bit of lag to it, though once focus is found the system is state-of-the-art in speed. Get in the habit of starting focus early and you'll be fine."

Well thats a tad disheartening.

I am a D3 owner and I noticed a major AF lag - I went back to my D200 and had no lag at all even when using the same lens, same exposure settings (manual) and same lighting conditions.

With my D3 I cant shoot anyone moving in my direction without backing up at the same speed. When there is more light (outdoors) I dont see the problem as much - but once again, the D200 has no problem at all.

I am going to check out these settings on my D3 tonight and see if I can tell a difference.

Darren, that AF with Lock On setting can be a real "Gotcha". Read the manual VERY carefully and you'll find that it's actually a DELAY that prevents the camera from focusing on a subject at a distance different from the previous image. The purpose of this setting is to prevent the camera from shifting focus if someone steps in front of your camera. The problem is that it will also prevent the camera from tracking a subject that is either, moving towards your position, or moving away from your position. My advice is that you trun it off and leave it off, you'll get much better results.

As for other settings, either 9 pt. Dynamic, or 21 pt. Dynamic should work very well for you with the camera set to AF-C. The only remaing question is whether the D300 will be able to drive that old screw drive lens of your fast enough to keep track with your subject. Odds are that it will since I believe that the D300 uses the same AF drive motor as the D200 and you reported no issues with that camera.

Darren, follow Shung below information to upgrade you camera. It is very simple. I just did it and tomorrow I will testing it.

>>>Darren, I haven't noticed the AF issue Thom Hogan mentioned. Additionally, he recently points out that the issue pretty much goes away with the latest firmware upgrade (1.03), but I haven't made any firmware upgrade yet: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Q19n

Happy shooting and good luck !!

Thanks guys. Figures. My serial is "invalid." Looks like i WONT be upgrading. It already has 1.02 on it. As for the settings. I have the camera ready to roll. Scott, thanks for pointing that out, I was unaware. I could see how if you were shooting from the exact same spot that that setting would be acceptable. I have it set to Dynamic 21 point now, and AF lock off.

Scott as for my lens, its nearly new. Its the 80-400mm, APO DG, internal focus, IS (VR) lens. Its focus is fast IMO.

We shall see.

My old Firmware Version: 1.11

My new Firmware Version: 2.00

Solved everything I had problems with. Now there is only lag when the subject has little contrast. I got the camera to focus on a purse in about 1/2 second and it was in a dark room in the house.

Darren - figure out how to get the new firmware!

ok guys. I owe a big thanks to all of you. My woes are 99% fixed! AF is lightening fast and so much more sharp, the battery goes 3k shots instead of 1600 from a D200. Only thing now is my aftermarket MBD300, doesnt seem to work unfortunately. It makes the body think the battery is dead. Thats frustrating!

Anyway thanks all for the firmware links.

• 2 weeks later...