Wow this is frustrating. Another roll, more leaks!

connor_roelke

Do you only have the one back and only the one lens? You can shade the lens with your gray card, body, hat, anything. I think you are getting a leak of some sort if you can't see this flare on the viewing/focus screen. Looks kind of like to me that light is shotting vertically down in between the body seat and the face of the holder; like you are not getting a good mating surface between holder and camera body. Seems odd though for a Hassy. I am not the most familliar with these however. I wonder also if the opening cover of the roll back could be bent and allowing light to streak in. could be anything.

Do as suggested above. Tape the entire holder and shoot one or two images. Tape only the dark slide slot for a couple images. Do a couple with only the tape covering the opening body of the holder and its mating lip. then try taping only the edges around the body and holder and shoot a couple more. For all these images shade the lens with body or hat, dark slide or something. You don't need a hood. You could also just set up these tests and take the camera out in the sunlight from a dark or very dimly lit shaded area and just advance the film after each change. Perhaps just tape everything insuch a way that you can put the unit in the camera with holder mounted out in bright light for a little bit and advance a frame every thirty seconds or so, and every two frames pull tape from one suspect area like say the body, then the holder opening back, then the dark slide area etc... Develop film and then check your careful note taking and see when you started to get the mysterious leakage.

I Use mostly vintage Graflex roll holders, and I suspect they all leak. I keep them in the dark until I shoot as best I can and always press the holder against the camera back when I advance so it can't push or pull away. If Ihave to leave the holder onthe camera for a few minutes I keep well shaded under a dark cloth, hat anything, or I will remove it. when I go around hand-holding I either keep the camera in a dark bag, under my sweater, or at least in the shadeof my body until ready to shoot. These habits have helped with suspect holders a lot.

So look carefully at the camera back, and the entire holder for any signs that might suggest surfaces that are not mating flush. Anything bent or less than perfect?

If this is your only holder youmight want to try another one anyways, but try and nail this down before spending any more money. Film is cheap, but get your tests down on one or two rolls and make notes and be more precise than I think so or if I recall...

And who and how is your developing being done? Is the film being loaded and removed properly?

A loose roll of film with a good shot of light in the end of the roll could do this, Maybe? I've had more film damaged at a lab here than I have ever done myself.

Good luck with it...

P.S. Conner, when I suggest putting the camera and holder out in the light for a bit, and then advance, pull some tape, and so forth, making careful notes, I mean to do so without exposing the film through the lens shutter. Leave closed. Try a second test making images for real maybe, but first I would want to test only the holder, and holder camera mating...

Conner,

I read through the postings in haste earlier, so sorry if some sounded redundant, like you aren't trying to slim down

the possibilites.

I see you have a roll of Velvia out for E-6. And I re-read and see you are doing some of your own developing, B&W I

presume.

What kind of tanks are you using for your own films? Here's why I ask. I once had a similar issue of light leaking,

and while I first blamed faulty RB67 and Graflex roll backs, it turned out that the plastic light trap lid in the old hand-

me-down Paterson tank I was using had a couple small cracks. Very hard to see at first, but once I looked in

earnest, and held to a bright light, ah-ha. Got new tank, use the old one for clean reel storage and that took careof

it. Just a thought... but naturally the blame went first to the old film holders, and they were after all fairly consistent

light leak issues showing on the films.

I found the leak!

I took the roll of color out after I finished it and inspected the back under the light. It was hard to see at first, but definitely there. My Dad saw it too. It's right at the corner of the dark slide so I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully that's the only one.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks so much for the help.

Connor, if you don't resolve it, please post a series of images so we can compare the location among several examples. In the sample you posted, the leak does appear to come from the dark slide side of the back and the back iteslf has been worked on at some point in it's life. (It has an extra marked filed into the film aperture.)

You'll also want to take care to make sure the film paper passes under the small clip on the pressure plate when loading.