Need help with lighting ideas

mandymojica

I'm shooting my first Fashion show, it will be atop a hotel on a roof top terrace. It will be at night no actual

runway just a red carpet. The hotel manager says that the lighting will be limited to lights that are already in

place along the lower part of the walls. I will be shooting from the far end of the terrace my view will be

unobstructed. I was given free license as far as setting up my own lights I'm on a limited budget does anyone

have any ideas?

If there is a Calumet or other rental place in the area you might want to consider renting the lights for the night. I would however rent them a day ahead to get used to working with them. If you are planning on using existing electricity might want to scout out location to see where outlets are and if they work. Years ago when shooting portraits and weddings I started to carry a simple test device to check outlets when more then once was told there was a working outlet and there was not. Hope this helps

John

thanks john, what I'm not sure about is actually what lights to set. I'm thinking just lighting the end of the runway where I will be shooting. not exactly sure. I will be allowed to the terrace at night sometime next week but still not sure how to set up lights I really can't afford to light the entire runway.

Im including some images maybe they will help. explain.<div>00QJWl-60135584.jpg.4c473bf21aa805db49ad26264e04b8db.jpg</div>

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry if this is late, hopefully you haven't shot this yet.

Based on that photo and the fact that you'll be shooting at night, I would count on having terrible existing

light to work with.

I would concentrate on lighting the end of the terrace where you are by the pillar and getting your best shot's

of the models at the end of their walk. but also try to light the mid section of the run, forget the far end.

Use 4 mono llights at least 640ws each. I'd shoot bounce into a silver lined black backed 48" to 60" umbrella on

each light. This will give you wide coverage somewhat diffused light and enough power. I think the dishes

mentioned above are fine for a smaller venue (like in studio) but you will have too much fall off around the

edges with them and they through slightly harder light than umbrellas. Forget soft boxes for this they are too

directional as well and rob you of too much light.

Would love to see some samples of this posted when you're done.

Bob, I don't see how you'd use a 60" umbrella in this case. If you are lighting a runway, you'd have to elevate teh 60"

umbrella above the line of sight from the audience. Even if the audience is only on the sides, and the umbrella is not

between them and the runway-- generally something that big is considered a distraction and not welcome.

I've only been to fashion shows here in Tampa, FL-- not a big hub like NYC or LA, but I've never seen an umbrella

used for these events even when in door. Normally it's lights w/ smaller modifiers, such as a 11 or 16" reflector, hung

from the rafters.

In addition, on an open air roof top terrace, your 60" umbrella is going to war against a good wind-- and depending on

how close this hotel is to an ocean, and how high it is, that could be a fight you don't want. This is one reason I like

the smaller modifiers-- less intrusive, easier to hang, and they don't catch as much wind.

• 2 weeks later...
Well the fashion show was a success because the promotor was happy with the images. But in reality it was a disaster, it was a local fashion show although they splurged on the venue everything else was way below par. I had difficulty lighting the place because, I only had enough lighting for the runway. Some people in the audience brought cameras of their own and kept tripping my strobes every time they took an image. My lighting is good for the studio work I shoot but not at all for this type of event and the strobes wouldnt recycle fast enough. Causing me to miss Shots. My biggest problem was that it was sooo dark, (by design of the promotor to create an intimate setting) that my camera could not focus. I could barley see I was shooting blind. I bumped up the iso to 800 and 1600 and all of my images were grainy some were saved by photoshop but others were not I will post a few examples.<div>00Qp6R-70587784.thumb.jpg.40c5a14e9b172bc49e6be4f4976c26aa.jpg</div>