D40 Lenses

phil_burt

I have read many times about lenses not working totally on the D40/D40x as they take motors that are in the

lenses. What my question is in reverse, if you bought a D40 (Which I have) and you get some lenses for the D40,

will they work on an another Nikon (D90 or D300) should you elect to upgrade your body. I'm not thinking of doing

this yet as I have only had my D40 about 8 months, but it could happen in the future.

I have the 2 kit lenses that came with it but I am really referring to one extra prime that I have.

A Sigma 30 mm 1:1.4 DC HSM.

I have come to really like this lens.

Thank You for your answers.

phil

Your 18-55 and 55-200 lenses will work on any Nikon digital body, but down the road there's no telling for sure what

will happen regarding your Sigma 30mm. It works with the cameras now, but it would not be too unusual if it didn't

work on some hypothetical D400 or D800 or D60x. One of the downsides to third party lenses. You'll have to

contact Sigma for a reliable answer regarding Sigma's lens-updating policy.

actually, the AF-S type lens -- the kind with the motor in the lens -- is kind of the wave of the future. more and more new lenses are being developed around this spec. so rather than being an evolutionary dead end, owning AF-S lenses is a good bet going forward.

EXCEPT that if you upgrade to full-frame at some point, any DX lenses (including the 18-55 kit lens and the 30mm sigma

you have) will NOT cover the whole image area. You probably, however, are not planning on upgrading at this time to a

$3000 (or more) camera (currently D3 and D700, as well as a couple of older Kodak F-mount models), but I thought I'd

throw that out there, ya never know...