backdrops

Both muslin and canvas have different features. Muslin can evoke the classic feel by the ability to "drape" while canvas is more stiff and relies on its decorative nature. It's a matter of preference.

If you do not want to see the backdrop then you have to adjust your subject lighting accordingly and without a light shining on the background. If, however, you want to remove the background why are you concerned with muslin or canvas?

As for places to by backdrops, simply do an internet search. That will reveal price, types, and location. As you've not included your location it is somewhat hard to choose as the thought may occur that it may be better to simply drive a bit down the road then to buy one from Europe.

Paper backgrounds are not indestructible and will certainly tear - but it depends on what you want to do with them. Do you want to use them as a seamless (for the wall AND floor)? If so, they will not look very good after the first use as you will be stepping on a soft material. They are fine as a simple background providing you are careful. To me, for portraiture, the advantage is the cost - which means I can change them more often. The disadvantage is the "stiff" background effect as you cannot get the draping that you can with muslin. Canvas will last longer than either paper or muslin, but that longevity tends to outlive a photographers developing photographic style. Of course, if you are considering something like high school shoots, then it may make sense as it offers longevity. It all depends on your needs.

Hi Maureen,

I believe you need to state the type of shooting you will be doing. Is it something for product - ie. someones

glass vase? If that is the case anything will work. If, however, it is for portraiture then you must consider

the background size. Can you buy background paper the size you need it from a craft store?

I did a small search on the internet for you and found something that may help answer many questions:................

www.ppmag.com/reviews/200609_backgroundsreal.pdf

re: seamless paper

"If so, they will not look very good after the first use as you will be stepping on a soft material."

If you have a carpeted floor, and use a paper seamless w/ it-- your paper will shred quickly. The trick is to have some plywood to lay down over the floor. The stiffness of the ply wood will let you use the paper a few times before tearing it off (if you are careful).

Terry, I'm not sure a craft store will have a 78" or 140" roll of paper; then if they do, I don't know how much cheaper it would be; and I'd expect that the Savage paper is the right texture, weight, and reflective properties for shooting. But those are just my expectations.

Try ebay. You will find some good deals on everything. I personally like poly-canvas. It is more expensive than paper at

first but you can wipe it down and it will last for a very long time. You can get it in all of the colors that you can with paper.

The canvas is inexpensive on ebay also. Just do a search for all of the backgrounds. If you do not like what you see then

paint your own. buy a canvas painters drop cloth at a hardware store and start painting away. If you do not feel creative

then make it a solid color.