40d 0r xsi for entry level wedding/ event camera?

jeremy_beck

When I first started as a second shooter, learning from the hired Pro, I had a Rebel XT. It was fine for what I

was contributing. However as I became more proficient and started to do my own weddings I upgraded to an XTi and

kept the XT as a backup. I later saw the limitations of the XT and sold it to get a 40D. Most recently because of

the price drop I bought a 5D and sold the XTi. The 5D is my primary wedding camera and the 40D is my primary

sports shooting camera. The results I get are a combination of the improved cameras, very good glass, and my

vastly improved skills. With this combination of cameras I think I have most aspects of photography covered very

well at least for what I shoot the most. The glass you shoot with is another topic in itself so be careful with

what you buy. Cheap glass on an XSi for weddings may not get you more business.

Quoting Jim Strutz: "I don't think so. Not knocking the 5D, but I don't want one. And for the same reasons, I have no qualms about buying EF-S lenses. It's a personal choice. Besides, full frame is going the way of the dodo bird. :)"

Do you own a full-frame? What do you know about them?

I just got a 5D and TOTALLY disagree with you. Full frames ARE the future.

I would like to believe that you made your statement in jest

"I would like to believe that you made your statement in jest"

You actually quoted my smiley face, and you don't know if it was in jest? Come on Yinka, you gotta get out more. :)

But I still don't want a 5D. What would I do with all the EF-S glass I've been hording? If I bought a full frame camera now I would start in with the "L" lust, and then I'd be poor again.

>> Sell your EF-S lenses! Get L-glass!

Not necessarily.

I started with a 1D and liked it a lot. I wanted to upgrade to 1D Mk III but the AF problems scared me. I thus bought the 40D. Then I traded two L lenses (17-40/4 and 24-105/4) for two EF-S ones (10-22/3.5-4.5 and 17-55/2.8 IS) and was absolutely mind boggled. They are extremely good lenses. In fact, I like them so much that I decided that when I buy a 1.3X/FF body in the future it will not replace the EF-S body but add to it.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Jeremy-

I am also new to the event photo business and bought the Xsi when it came out. I was in the same situation as you and

have already upgraded (after 3 months!) to the 40D. The Xsi was great (lightweight, easy to use), however after only a

week I am very happy with the 40D. Happy shooting!

Do not spend few hundreds more on 40D. Buy a 30D which is very similar to 40D and you will use the 30D as a backup later when you acquire 5D. I am currently shooting with 30D and I have used 40D for 2 weeks just to test the difference. I am not trying to claim that 40D is not any better than 30D. I am not sure if it is worth the extra hundreds.

Stop and think through your choices carefully.

If (a big IF), you are serious about doing wedding and event photography, think through to the future a bit more. This is especially true if

you are just starting out, because basically you will be committing to a "system." To shoot a wedding for money, you

need more than just a camera with pop-up flash and a kit lens.

Most modern digital SLR cameras are capable. The lesser expensive ones provide some penalties ... which is how they can be sold for

less. Things like durability, speed of autofocus are often compromised compared to the next level up in choice. Lenses

are similar. Kit lenses tend to be less robust and slower in maximum aperture speed.

Crop frame digital cameras also exact a penalty. Canon is a 1.6X crop factor, and Nikon is a 1.5X crop factor. This means a regular SLR

lens has to be multiplied by the X factor ( a 24mm lens becomes close to a 40mm field of view on a Canon crop frame.) Or, you

have to buy lenses made for the crop frame cameras ... which in the case of Canon, excludes their use on a full frame camera. Nikon

had the foresight to allow use of their DX series of crop frame lenses on the new full frame FX cameras now hitting the

market.

For the budget minded, my personal recommendation is a Nikon D300, because as you advance, you can use any DX lens you invest in

on a full frame FX camera later. It is ruggedly built, fast to autofocus, offers better flash control than comparible cameras from

other makers. This is a relatively new camera that is quickly becoming available used because of the recent introduction of the D700 full

frame camera from Nikon. I just sold a D300 with a DX18-200 Vibration Reduction lens for $1,650. ... the camera had

been used at one wedding by my assistant. It's now replaced with the full frame D700.

The Canon 5D is becoming a nice bargain right now also. It's full frame and produces excellent results. Used Canon lenses abound, and

can serve to reduce initial outlay of investment capital.

Contrary to posts here, full frame cameras are not going extinct. Nikon just made it clear where this is all headed. Canon WILL respond,

of that you can be sure.