40d 0r xsi for entry level wedding/ event camera?

jeremy_beck

@ Zafar

i think most people learn the skills they need and gain the tools they need before they determine they are going to join a profession. I don't think many people wake up and say what kind of racecar do i need to be a racer? do they?

JC

By the phraseing of your question and the nature of your post we assume you are a beginner to photography in general, right? Or just new to Digital?

Either one will produce great results. The 40D has certain features that make it better for the fast pace high demand style of shooting that event/wedding photography is. If the camera that you buy now is intended to be the camera that you use as a main camera as the primary photographer, then the 40D or a 5D is the better choice in my opinion.

The XSi (or any of the other rebels) would serve well as an inexpensive camera to learn with and to use as a second shooter at an event.

f2.8 zooms are a good thing but you can do well with a good flash and an f4 lens. If you are the primary photog, then yes you by all means need a back up body...this is a must.

Jason

While I stand by my statement about the 40D being better suited...I would also say that equally good results could be acheived with both camera in the hands of an experienced and knowlegeable photographer who understands his/her gear and how to get the best out of it.

In the wrong hands, the camera just will not matter.

Jason

Short answer is the 40D is better for weddings and events, BUT all of the previous posts bring valid points. There is a lot to consider before you delve into shooting weddings. Remember, that's someones' "memories" forever. Having said that, don't let anyone on this forum dash your photography hopes, dreams and passion. I've seen some posters almost get offended when someone new talks about "beginers" shooting weddings.

There are really only two reasons to buy a XSi instead of a 40D. It's cheaper and it's smaller. For some, smaller is better. You probably would not notice the IQ difference between the two if you used them both properly and have good glass, but you will see a difference in functionality. If you stick with it (wedding photography that is), you are going to want a 5D sooner or later. Once you learn the control layout and functionality of the 40D, using the 5D will become second nature for you. Not so with the XSi. The 40D will then become your backup.

Good luck!

I just bought the 40D for weddings and now have the 40D and 30D as a back up. Next year I will by the 5D. Start with the 40D just to get your feet wet. Its a great camera yelding great results with a good lens. By a good lens, you'll be able to use it on any Canon body

snarkiness aside - apologies - I would say that if it's budget related i would buy the xsi and a better lens

based solely on usability etc I would take the 40D

No matter what in a few years you'll be buying a new camera but if you buy great lenses now (for this reason i recommend staying away from efs) no matter what you do in the future you will still be capable of producing great images

If money is no objective, go for a couple of 40Ds (about $950 each). On a limited budget, go for a 30D or an XSi (both

about $700 new), or even an XTi (less than $500 used), get the 18-55 IS (about $175) which is a remarkable lens for its

price (at least the piece I have) and maybe the cheap 50mm f1.8 (about $90). You can use the leftover cash towards

fast glass (like the 70-200 f2.8 L or the f4 L) and a couple of very good flashes. Later you can add another body to the

mix, get the 10-22, upgrade to the 17-55 f2.8 IS, get more goodies, etc. If you have enough bodies, then you can even

shift to fast primes instead of zooms.

You might see a difference between these bodies and sensors if you shoot resolution charts with an L lens, but I doubt

that you will actually see any difference in image quality or resolution in real life. So I would ignore that part unless you

plan to make some 4 ft x 6 ft prints.

Rather, my guess is that a consideration for you is that you need to shoot quickly at events. If you are very very

particular about the way you shoot, and need combinations beyond the many presets of these cameras, it is easier to

access menus on the 40D and the 30D, and they have more options to customize your settings. But in all probability,

you can get by with just the Av and Tv modes, with some forays into M when needed!

The main features that 40D offers over the 30D are live view sensor dust reduction and live view. The former might be

generally useful, while the latter is not much use at a wedding. The XSi is a real step over the XTi (spot metering, larger

LCD, My Menu etc), so you will have to make the call based on your needs. For e.g., I love spot metering, and couldn't

do without it. Also, I personally would pick the 30D over the XSi for the same price, but if you don't care about the feel

and build, the XSi probably has more features for the buck.

I don't agree with the blanket opinion that you should not buy EF-S lenses, unless you absolutely know you will use the

camera only for a year or so. If you want to upgrade to full-frame later, you can either use the older bodies as backup, or

sell it with the lens!

Good luck!

"If you stick with it (wedding photography that is), you are going to want a 5D sooner or later."

I don't think so. Not knocking the 5D, but I don't want one. And for the same reasons, I have no qualms about buying EF-S lenses. It's a personal choice. Besides, full frame is going the way of the dodo bird. :)

But back to the original question. I think the 40D is a better choice for wedding photographers.