is 85mm 1.8 worth buying for me?

I currently own the 24-70 2.8 (canon) and i am looking at the 85 1.8. I would like the 85mm for portraits, and maybe

some low light/indoor sports. I do not beleive i can afford one of the 70-200's at this time. So my question is this:

Will the 85mm be a big improvement over my 24-70? It is only about a stop faster and a little bit longer, so i dont

know if it will be worth buying? I here the image quality on the 85 is good, but i am sure lower than the 24-70. With

all things considered, do you think the 85 1.8 would be good for me?

Only if you need a shallower dof or the increased distance. The quality of the 85 f1.8 is very good though and according to Photozone's tests is actually better that the 24-70 at 70mm.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/164-canon-ef-85mm-f18-usm-test-report--review?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/184-canon-ef-24-70mm-f28-usm-l-test-report--review?start=1

I have both the 24-70 f2.8L and the 85 f1.8. The 85 is better optically.

Actually, the 85 is significantly better than the 24-70 f2.8L in practical use. At f2.8, it is sharper and has more contrast than the zoom. This is why that extra stop is important.

I had the 85 1.8 and I loooooved it. Great optics, sharp, nice bokeh. I only sold it because I shoot primarily

indoors, and it was too long for anything other than a head and shoulder. It was fast too - as in fast focusing,

not just fast glass, which was nice. I may buy it again one day if I decide to offer outdoor shots. I have not

used the 24-70.

-- "I would like the 85mm for portraits, and maybe some low light/indoor sports"

If portraits is what you want to use the lens for, and if you've checked that 85ish is a good focal length for you, go for it. With sports, it really depends on the type of sport, the place you are and the type of shots you want.

But with f/1.8 and a very fast AF, the 85/1.8 is a good choice anyway.

>>.Will the 85mm be a big improvement over my 24-70?<<

No. I have both. I use the 24-70L 99% of the time (over the 85mm prime). They do have different looks and occasionally, I find myself using the 85mm for certain types of portraits or when I want something smaller and lighter.

It's probably a better question to answer if you prefer zooms over primes. I personally love the 85mm and use my

primes whenever possible, so I'm biased. If you like the convenience of zooms a 85mm prime is probably not going

to get used too much. If so, skip it for now and save up for the 70-200 you have your eye on.<div>00QHYk-59499584.thumb.jpg.265f4fe19256bcf6996a887d965ecafc.jpg</div>

i have both too. i love them both! thats such a hard question! the zoom is much more practical, but i LOVE the results of my 85mm when i throw it on there for portraits. its awesome. i dont shoot sports, so im not sure which would be better for you.

i had the 70-200, but replaced it with primes... 135mm and 85mm. good luck!