Lens for Baptism?

kris-bochenek

With a high ceiling or needing a lot of light, the bounce card takes some of the flash power which would otherwise have been lost in different directions (mostly to the rear) and sends it forward. A Stofen or similar diffuser essentially spreads light in all directions. If you have good reflective surfaces and a lot of ambient, that may be OK. If needing all the light you can get, that may not be a good choice, especially with an SB600 as opposed to an SB800.

``I'd recommend that you don't get distracted by trying to use a prime without flash for this event.``

For clarity:

I was suggesting that you might try a couple of available light shots with the KIT LENS and AFTER you had nailed some good shots with the flash. i.e. NO lens changes.

My reference to any Prime Lens was only in response to the secondary question . . . when answering that question, I did not think that the Prime might be intended for use at the Baptism. I did not think to link the two topics. (I am a bloke. I cannot process two thoughts at once.)

In general I agree with Nadine`s statement above, especially considering the necessity of a lens change: but I think, if you had a Prime and it was on a second body then that would be easier to achieve, though still, not necessarily a good idea.

Explaining my view:

I think when one is out of one`s comfort zone [``I do not usually shoot baptisms or weddings . . .Primes would be great, however most of them do not autofocus on my D40x``] it is very important to keep things as simple as possible and concentrate on what is happening and to be in the right place at the right time, to capture what is happening. That is why I was (and still am) strongly of the view that the kit lens and a flash should be used for the whole gig.

But, taking this `simplicity` as a premise, I think an intelligent photographer, who keeps their ego under wraps and works within their own limits can use these opportunities to increase their skills and widen their experiences. And, as the thread developed I got a nice feeling that it would be good to suggest the available light shots with the kit lens . . . it is all about balance, being sensible enough to recognize one`s own capacities and work within those, but being brave enough to push the limits and responsible enough to only push the limits when there is least to stuff up.

WW

``Primes would be great, however most of them do not autofocus on my D40x . . .do you know of any other lenses (primes) that will AF with my D40x like Tamron or any other 3rd party of even Nikon.

``

I am not that familiar with these details of the Sigma (or other lenses) mating with the D40x.

If you do not get an answer here, I suggest you ask a specific question in the Nikon Forum

WW

``your flash shouldn't be directed toward the baby as their eyes are very light sensitive.``

Edward, this has been a topic of conversation in my circle for many years. I do not wish to debate the statement, highjack the thread, nor put you on the spot in any fashion.

But I ask: what is the foundation of your comment?

I mean: is your reason professional prudence, or do you have hard data?

To be clear, I have always used a bounce for infants (professional prudence + better picture + parents at ease + what I would want as a careful parent)

But, the only hard data I have ever seen gives evidence and caution relating to the distance / proximity of the flash head directly pointed to the eyes and clearly not to the fact that it is direct flash, per se.

So I ask out of curiosity . . .

Thanks,

WW

How many people are being baptized? Some times it moves very fast and your flash may not have time to reenergize before the need for the next event is ready for the photo to be taken, like a wedding you get one shot only some times. My experience is for infants (children) and at Catholic Churches, did one where there were over 100 children to be baptized, not much time between children. fast prime in those cases is your best friend.