Nikon D700 in Stock, Good News and ...

ShunCheung

Shun... That's half way between Dollars and Yens! I always compromise. I doubt there is any shortage of it. All the stores

seems to have them in stock right now and I'm not talking web. I took my wife shopping today and I went to 3 stores and

they have them. (body only). I bet Nikon its been producing that camera together with the D3 and D300 since February or

so.

By the way, can anyone tell me where is it made? Japan or Thailand? I forgot to check that but I bet its Thailand.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shun, I have been out since friday, now is early sunday. On monday I will know about waiting lists, price and

availability.

Anyway, I suspect you`re right. I have seen some unusual "demand stimulating" adds. I wonder how much people

are still out there in europe with strenght enought to board a D700 after the D200-D300-D3 string.

Pricing will be so important here. If price is inflated as usual, it could be worth for many people to buy in the US. It

has not been the case at RW`s, they offer the D700 at almost US import price (near 2540 EUR after taxes). If you

buy at them, you will pay "only" a 5% more. I hope all dealers take their way.

Out of curiosity, a 24-120VR is around 620EUR (US$970) in the cheapest european store vs. US$490 in B&H (grey).

A 24/2.8 AFD is even more expensive, around 680EUR (more than US$1000) (it`s not a typo; more than one

thousand US dollars). The 17-55/2.8 is (has been ever) a 30% more expensive than a 24-70/2.8.

Just to update my post, Shun is right: looks like there isn`t availability problems. Best pro-shops have D700s on stock althought in logical moderate quantities. Nothing like in the D300 release.

Funny, I have seen even more new unusual adds, related to D700 camera renting (!), trading offers, etc. Also, R&Ws offer the 14-24 as the "kit" lens (!).

Ilkka, there is a non-sensed pricing policy in my country that force people to buy overseas. We can`t understand it. A 17-55 -must- not be more expensive than the 24-70, I know, but it is EUR200 (!) more on all shops here. (The 24-70 is EUR1450 aprox.). D700 price is relatively contained, aprox. 15% over US import total price (taxes, duties&shipping included).

If you go back to the B&H link I posted a week ago, the D700 body only is finally out of stock but they still have the

kit. However, there are plenty of stores with the D700 available. I have heard that a couple of stores are already

discounting it by $50 to $100. It looks like a general discount will happn a lot sooner than I thought earlier.

Again, Nikon has been introducing too many higher-end DSLR in the last 8 months or so, With apparently more

announcements to come in September prior to Photokina, over-supply will likely lead to further price drops.

Please someone answer this. Does the FX full frame mean: that my 12-24 TOKINA F4 IF DX lens will now be a

12 mm - 24 lens and not an 18-36 mm lens?

and

then 18-200 NIKKOR will be an 18-200 mm lens???????

is that why i am spending 3000 dollars for full frame?

among the other features