Nikon D700 in Stock, Good News and ...

ShunCheung

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<As of tonight, 7/24/08, Ritz has the D700 in stock (body only) at $2999.>

Just curious, has anyone actually ordered the body only from Ritz? My first impulse is that it's a bait and switch: they'll tell you it's out-of-stock, but they do have the kit with the lens. Even stranger though is that the kit is listed as not available yet, leading one to believe that there is no B&S going on so the consumer orders the body fully confident they'll it's all on the up and up, then voila, the kit is available afterall. And how come Ritz is able to offer what B&H can't?

I have dealt with Ritz for years and never had a problem. The camera was available to order last night. Ritz NEVER does the bait and switch routine. They also offer free shipping (ground) and do not charge sales tax. I ordered one last night.

I cancelled my order with Adorama and order one last night from Ritz. I phoned to confirm the order this morning. The rep said the camera is ready to go and should be shipped to me by the end of today (I chose the cheapo route, free shipping) :)

Ritz is fine, I've ordered things from them before (nothing over $500 though) and they all were shipped promptly.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

I am quite surprised at Ritz's rating and some of the issues per the link above. Without having personal experience with them, I can understand Sp's minor concerns based on the rating.

I personally have ordered much of my gear through them without issue, ever. I have returned many items I was not happy with including two expensive cameras and lenses I was not happy with without problems and have always got a prompt refund.

While there is no excuse for poor customer service, most companies are not immune to it.

Now it is Friday, B&H has both body only and the kit with the 24-120 AF-S VR in stock (if you click on the link I provided earlier).

If you have money, you can buy it from day one without any shortage to speak of.

Is it any different in Europe?

The D700 is marketed as body only here in Finland for 2699€-2749€ (including VAT), with shipments said to start

next week. In one store, a 150€ "gift card" is given to people who made pre-orders. I have not seen the D700

marketed as part of a kit here.

Comparing to B&H prices, if you live in Europe and order the camera from the US, you typically have to pay about

25% higher price than the list price on the web, due to taxes and customs fees. This means that the body only

from B&H will cost about 2400 EUR (vs. 1900 EUR without tax) to a customer based in Europe, and the kit with the

24-120 about 2900 EUR (2300 EUR without tax). But Nikon does not give international warranty on digital camera

bodies.

Since the D700 is marketed for a wider audience, there should not be any prioritization to favour professionals

in the sale of the first units, as was the case with the D3 here.

Interestingly, Nikon used many large prints made with the 24-120 VR to market the D3 here. The print quality was

quite decent.

Lately I've been buying equipment from amazon.com. They have had the best prices, no shipping fees, and the best return policy I've ever come across. I've had to return two items and both times they had replaced the item before the defective item was even picked up...within 1 or 2 days. No hassle, no questions asked, all done with a few clicks online.

<p>

And, no, I have no interest in amazon, nor do I work for them. I just like the service I'm getting.

I've ordered through Amazon with good success, but you have to be careful who the ultimate supplier is, it can change at their discretion and it's not always obvious.

As for me, I just ordered mine through B&H, thanks Shun.

I have said this a few times and I'll suggest it again: in about a month and half, Nikon will likely have more DSLRs and lenses to announce before Photokina and so do Canon, Sony, etc. Unless you have some important applications in the mean time, what is the hurry to buy a D700 now? Apparently there is sufficient supply available. Nikon may introduce something more apparopate for you or the competition may have something excellent that will drive down D700 prices. A month and half is not a long time to wait.

Sage advice, but for me the D700 is exactly what I wanted, a full-frame sensor in a D200 body. In a few months it'll

be down a bit but I have no interest in waiting.

That, coupled with the fact that my entire digital bag was stolen out of my car two weeks ago, has left me with a

fairly big desire to get something now.

Besides, it'll probably save the life of the a$$hole who ended up with my gear should I ever run across him on the

street.

D700 available all day today from B&H. I panicked and bought one this morning. Future small body Dx00 cameras will almost certainly have more megapixels -- translating into most likely smaller pixels and worse low light performance. I'm not likely to trade that in for faster focussing, processing, touch screens, etc. that will come with future upgrades. As an example, consider the finepix series of point and shoot cameras: it's been downhill since the finepix f31fd. I hope this is the last Nikon DSLR I'll have to buy for a long time (having blown through the D50, D40, D200, and now D300).

Been following the hype and understandable excitement of Nikon dslr users but resigned myself to waiting to get one since I expected the

initial demand to be too great. On a whim Friday afternoon I called 17th St Photo since I figured they were "under the radar" compared to

B&H, Adorama etc. Lo and behold they had it but my debit card did not work. A couple of hours later I got around to calling the bank to see

what the problem was and it seems 17th St got the security code on the back wrong. So I called back about 5pm ET and ordered a body.

Should receive it Monday or Tuesday. I will promise however when I get it I won't post any" just received my D700" with photos of the

open box etc. Bunch of these posts on DPreview.

You guys are really in a hurry! I'm playing cool! I'll buy it in January if it is down to 25,000 USD On the mid-time I'll learn

from your experiences. besides here there are rumors of a D700s already. Let's see if shun is right about Photokina and if

not I'm sure Nikon will come out with something else around November!

The US$25,000 D700 must be gold plated with diamonds on it. :-)

Jose, is there any D700 shortage in Europe? There seems to be no such problem at all in the US.

B&H still has it in stock, with or without the kit lens (at $90 more than buying them separately).