A great Book of TLR Portraits I just got

johnmarkpainter

If you can't produce pictures at least as good as his then you probably do want to sell your cameras.

Many photographers were doing this sort of thing in the UK forty years ago - same lighting, same poses, same use of hard printing and big close-ups....

But of course, he's an 'artist' and has the right connections so he gets an MBE and a lot of arse-licking publicity. It would be sad if it wasn't so bloody funny.

I think he is a very interesting photographer who consistently takes some great images. Yes, nothing revolutionary, but does it have to be?

It was seeing a some of his images on T.V. when I was younger that made me realise what was possible with black and white film and simple gear. This helped start my long-term love of Rollei TLRs

Okay there's nothing new about simple black and white portraits. People have been doing it for years, but not everyone does it equally well ;-)

I think it was pretty harsh to suggest getting rid of your cameras if you couldn't produce work like that, but I would agree that his work is quite lame. If the photos were not of famous people, they would really have nothing going for them.

I like the WWII veterans collection but every shot is exactly the same, saying nothing of who the subjects actually were as people.

I bought a book a couple months back of portraits taken strictly on a Rollei TLR, black & white by Milton Rogovin called "The Forgotten Ones".

http://www.miltonrogovin.com/

Incredible documentarian, portaitist (if that's a word) and photographer. Check out his "Quartets" - series of 4 photos each spanning 30 years of the subjects' lives. Awesome.

Actually, a quite accomplished photographer... if you like that black background one main, one fill three stops down, with heavy make up, on some ortho type film sort of look.

He does what he does and if you like it fine. I get bored with it pretty easy but then again, my studio stuff is not as good, wait, my studio stuff is non-existant.

Can't we all just get along?

tim in san jose

<i>I bought a book a couple months back of portraits taken strictly on a Rollei TLR, black & white by Milton Rogovin called "The Forgotten Ones". </i><p>

Now this is one great book. Actually, it's two great books - I have an older Rogovin book with the same title, but it's a completely different book. I guess he liked the title and the other went out of print. He is an incredibly good portrait photographer, and the web site doesn't do him justice. The book is fairly inexpensive, however.<p>

I think he shoots mostly with large format though. Could be wrong, but he even talks about this in the (newer) Forgotten Ones.

Rogovin?

That's nothing original....Black&White shots of poor people? Dorothea Lange and Margaret

Bourke-White were doing that stuff when he was in Diapers!

(you do know I'm kidding right? I really like his work).

As to whether Pyke's work is interesting just because the subjects are famous....I think I

recognized maybe two people in the Philosophers book. I'm not a Philospher groupie

(though I am certain that they exist).

jmp

I love Pyke's Philosophers book. The photography is technically simple (emulating

early Avedon), but it's executed with great confidence. And I like the idea of

photographing (in tight close-up) the heads of a group of people who have dedicated

themselves to the life of the mind...

Rogovin did shoot with a Rollei, I was incorrect above.

<p>

Although Mr. Painter was kidding about Rogovin, it's worth noting that his work is very different from that of Lange and Evans. Much of his photography is portraiture and of people he knows. He has also done documentary work, with miners and in Mexico, Chile and Europe, but even then, much of it is portraiture. He's almost a hundred years old and still being published. There aren't that many photographers whose work will live on as Rogovin's has.

<p>

An interesting story about Rogovin - he sold off his equipment when he developed cataracts. At the age of 88, he had cataract surgery and bought back his original equipment and began photographing again. Some of the photos in the (new) <i>Forgotten Ones</i> are from after the surgery.<p>

One other fact of interest - he worked as an optician, just as Meatyard did.