Dallas Divide/Mt. Sneffels

rickbakerimages

I will be visiting Colorado during the last two weeks in September. I will be photographing in several areas, mostly

around Ouray. I have seen a lot of images on the internet, and like what I see in the images around Dallas Divide, Mt.

Sneffels, the RL Ranch, the Lost Dollar Road,Silverton Telluride, etc. I would really appreciate information on where

to get the best images and any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Rick Baker

The advice above may well be appropriate on the basis that you have already and recently asked a very similar question on Photo.net and received a lot of help. What further information do you now need that hasn't been given to you already? You are beginning to sound like you want people here to design your trip for you., yet you present yourself as a professional

This is a community that provides mutual help. You are clearly an experienced photographer with some decent work- maybe you'd like to help out some other people by answering their questions - since so far you have used Photo.net only as a place to ask for information for yourself.

Rick,

Good motel in Ridgway if you need it.

Don't know what you have asked before but here are a few ideas. Pick up National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map

#141, Telluride, Silverton, Ouray, (you ray) Lake City.

First, last year was generally crap because of lack of rain, but this summer has had a bit more, so far. Best conditions

are when leaves turn bright yellow and some snow has fallen, which usually occurs after the 15th of September and

before the 1st of October, usually. I try and wait for some weather to come in before heading up so there are clouds to

add some interest to the stark blue sky. Note, this is when 4WD comes in handy, especially if it snows.

Best view of Sneffels is from Dallas Creek Road south of Dallas Divide Highway, Colorado 62. That range of mountains

runs east/west and the sun will set just behind and to the west of Sneffels that time of year.

Last Dollar, not Lost Dollar, Road runs south toward Telluride. Great view of the west end of the Sneffels range just after

turning onto that road, so good in fact, the county has erected no parking signs because it is narrow and on a curve and

the residents are snooty, but I digress. Last Dollar meanders through the forest heading south and comes out near the

Telluride Airport with stunning views of the Wilson Range, albeit far to the south.

Telluride is very scenic as it sits at the end of a box with Ajax Peak and other mountains to the east. You can get some

awesome soup and grub at the grocery, Clark''s on the west end of town. Also some great Mexican food from the stand

in town, Take the free gondola to the top and hike a short way to get spectacular views of the Wilsons, now to your

southwest. this range is also sits east/west. you will also get outstanding views from a pull off on 145 and up the Alta

Lakes Road, which has views of the Ophir Needles.

Drive down south 145 to Lizard Head Pass and Trout Lake. The lake view is awesome but houses there really detract

from the views. A hiking trail from the pass heads back north and in a short distance you can get up above tree tops for

a great shot of Sheep Mountain and others. A few miles further south and a trail on the west side leads up to views of

Lizard Head and El Diente.

If you want to get back over to Silverton take the Ophir, (O Fear!) Pass Road. You won't be able to do if it has snowed

much but there are stunning views up that 4WD only road back to the west. Really this road has a nail biter, single lane

section, (straight up on your left, straight down on your right) as it cuts through the scree and is not for the timid, but is a

great shortcut back to the Silverton area. There is a cool little post office just as you turn onto the pass road where you

can ask about pass conditions and how many people have recently died coming across. Just kidding, no, really.

West of Telluride heading back toward Placerville is a turnoff to Ilium. It goes past the Sheriff's office and jail, so I hear.

a little further is a right turn called Sunshine Mesa Road. It goes up beneath the Wilson's if you want a closer look. Easy

drive but about 7 miles long. opens up to a nice pasture and trail that connects to 57P.

Finally, there are no bad images to get.

best,

Black Bear Pass above Telluride gives a nice distant view of Sneffels. Access is from the road to silverton out of Ouray. Don't go down the road into Telluride unless you are ready for tight mountain roads with dropoffs.

• 3 weeks later...