Which one is the best for the D300 ?

mauricio_orozco

I am looking at 3 options, so in your opinion and base on your personal experience, which lens is the proper one for

my D300? ( I am not considering the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 because is out of my pocket ) :

> Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 AT-X PRO

> Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 SP XR DI II

> Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 DC EX

Please advise and thank you in advance for all your help.

My first choice would be Nikon 17-55, it is expensive but so is the camera, I think better glass is more important than

the body. since it is out of the question, for the many pictures I've seen I will suggest the Tamrom. I like how well the

Tokina is built but it has a slower AF system. The Sigma, I just don't know and some how I wouldn't feel so comfortable

buying any Sigma lenses.

If the 18-200 is the best match for a D300, Uhmm! Then there should be nothing wrong with the 24-120 as a kit lens for a

D700 but that is another topic!

Rene'

I know these three lenses. My advice is the Tamron 17-50/2.8. Its IQ is better than the Tokina's or the Sigma's (I mean the first version Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 DC EX without "MACRO"). When I compared pics that were made with the compact Tamron and with the much larger and far more expensive Canon IS USM 17-55/2.8 the results had been very, very similar.

Meanwhile my favourite standard combo for the D300 is the robust Tokina 12-24/4 (I've got a perfect sample) and the AF-Nikkor 50/1.8

Frank, I also heard about the Tokina 12-24 f/4 being a great lens and probably in the future I will get it, but to cover the distance from 16(17or 18) to 55 mm, which lens do you suggest ? Still the Tamron f/2.8 ? Know also the 18-200 Nikon is a great lens but I have no interest on that lens because the shorter the distance the cover, the better the IQ and that is what I am looking for. I also own the Nikon 50 f/1.8, the Nikon 16-85 and the 70-300 VR but again, these are not f/2.8 so I am looking one that is f/2.8 to cover the middle distance. Please suggest !!

Mauricio

"...but to cover the distance from 16(17or 18) to 55 mm, which lens do you suggest ? Still the Tamron f/2.8 ? Know also the 18-200 Nikon is a great lens but I have no interest on that lens because the shorter the distance the cover, the better the IQ and that is what I am looking for. Please suggest !!"

Yes, go for the Tamron 17-50/2.8 mm: good build quality, compact, fine optics and reasonable price.

BTW, as much as I like the VR-Nikkor 18-200 mm, the Sigma OS 18-200 is even a tad better (concerning lab figures, in practice they are on par). When I reviewed the Sigma I was absolutely astonished by its macro abilities (!). I have never seen before a macro image quality like this with a comparable zoomlens. Comparing a 17-50/2.8 mm with a 18-200/3,5-5.6(6.3) mm is a bit unfair, because using the 17-50 at f5.6 means using the lens at its probably best aperture.