OM-1 vs OM-2 and lens compatibility

gary_hartjen

I recently inheirited 2 Olympus camera bodies, and OM-1 and an OM-2, plus 5 lenses. Olympus 28 mm, 50mm,

and 75 - 150 mm auto zoom plus 2 telephoto lenses on which I can't find a brand name: a 28 - 200 auto zoom and a

60 - 300 auto zoom. My questions: can all these lenses be used on both cameras? Is there an advantage to using

one camera versus the other (I know the OM-2 is "automatic" and the OM-1 is manual). I also have a motor drive

and a thyrister flash unit.

The lens mount on each of the cameras you mention are identical, so assuming that the lenses are designed to fit these cameras (ie. assuming that the lenses are Olympus OM mount), they will fit equally well to both cameras.

As you state, the OM-2 has an auto function, in addition to manual, whereas the OM-1 is manual only. There is a difference, however, in that the OM-1 is a mechanical camera and as a result it can be used without batteries. The OM-2 is electronic and requires batteries to operate.

Hope this helps.

In addition to all that's mentioned, use silver oxide batteries in your OM-2. 357, 303, SR-44W, G-13, MS76, KS76. The camera was designed around them. Alkaline (A76, LR44) and lithium (CR1/3N) batteries showed up later and cause meter errors and sometimes shutter lock in the 2/2N. Every new 2N came with a pink slip packed at the top of the box warning that silver oxide batteries should always be used in the camera . Have fun! John, www.zuiko.com

The only thing you have to watch in the olympus series is non-manufactors lense is with the om-4 series some of the lense screw holes may shear off the small black button on the camera where the lens mounts and cause the metering system not to work. I have had a vivitar lens that would not mount on one of my cameras but when I discovered it I was picking up that camera from Olympus in LA mentioned it and the tech took the camera to the back along with the lense and when he brought it back it worked fine. John

• 2 weeks later...