canon 20-35 3.5/4.5 discontinued?

arthur_reyes1

Hi Folks.

So the other day I went to go use my 20-35 3.5/4.5 and unfortunately it decided that it would stop working (using

Elan IIe). Upon pressing the shutter release to focus, the lens would not auto-focus. Using manual focus, the

focusing ring turns freely, but the distance indicators in the lens do not move in response to focusing. However, it will

zoom between 20-35mm. Needless to say, I'm very sad. I bought this lens back in 2000 and I've been very pleased

with this lens. In fact this lens is one of the reasons why I'm still holding out for a cheaper full frame DSLR. Anyways,

I haven't yet looked into getting the lens repaired. I wasn't sure if getting it repaired would be cost prohibitive. So I

went on Canon's website as well as B&H to see how much a new lens would cost and that lens is no longer listed.

Does anyone know if this lens has been discontinued? If so I'll be very bummed. It looks like the next closest lens

would be the 17-40L. While it would be nice to have an L lens in my lineup, the lens is too pricey to afford now. Has

anyone experienced this kind of malfunction with this lens? Any idea on the cost to repair it? Thanks!

Last time I checked, the minimum repair charge was $175, and they seem to charge that amount for just about everything

except major repairs, e.g., CMOS replacement.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The lens first came out in 1993 so it was around for a while, It is not listed on the canon site as a current lens. I guess no need for it with the 16-35 f2.8L and 17-40 f4L around. So yes it seems to be discontinued but I can not see when on the canon sites. To bad.

Sorry

Jason

It's still listed as current on the Canon UK site:

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Zoom_Lenses/EF_2035mm_f3545_USM/index.asp

It's also still listed in the Canon USA "EOS System" catalog (print) from fall 2007.

I suspect that its omission from the Canon USA website might be an error and not an indication that it's discontinued. They've made enough errors in the past to make this not unlikely!

"It has definitely been discontinued."

And since it's widely available and listed on the Canon UK website, Canon Canada website, Canon Australia website (and probably others which I haven't checked), what's your reason for thinking its discontinued?

While money is tight and haveing to spend it is never fun...you will like the 17-40 f4. I have had the chance to rent it for a month (paid for by the company I work for) and I have enjoyed it. I was never much of a wide angle guy, but this lens worked well and is built well.

If you want to try it out, Lens Pro to Go will rent it for a week for $56.00. That includes round trip shipping and insurance. That is if you are in the states. A full month cost $130.00. With that the shipping and insurance is paid for also.

www.lensprotogo.com

Link to the lens its self.

http://www.lensprotogo.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=3&=SID#MOREINFO

Jason

"That lens is now under archive section on canon usa web page."

The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS is also in the archive section, and Canon only released that lens in the US a few months ago. It's certainly NOT discontinued and I don't expect it will be anytime soon.

Canon USA have never been very good about keeping their web pages current or rapidly correcting errors.

Arthur, if it's going to be $175 or so to repair, why not get a used one instead? KEH has a few on their website ranging from about $200 - $250 dollars. Personally, I'd trust a used LN- lens from KEH more than I would trust a repair shop, particularly if the cost difference is only $80 or so.

Incidentally, a question regarding this lens for any Full-Frame users reading this thread: Does it perform relatively well on a 5D or similar? Any vignetting or softness problems?

-Michael

I got a 17-40 f4 a couple of years ago. I did not like my 20-30 because I thought it lackluster. I gave it to my sister. She loves it. No accounting for tastes. It is very useful, though on a full frame film camera. No accounting for tastes.

I just had my 50 f1.4 repaired by Canon for just under $100. The auto focus just stopped working though it was in otherwise excellent condition. I went online and entered a description of what was wrong, received the quote right away (seemed to be a standard repair fee). Turnaround to get it repaired was just about a week.

You obviously enjoyed that the focal range that lens gave you, so why not take a look around and see if you can't find the 20-35mm 2.8L lens?

It's a very old lens, but good copies are lurking about out there and from what I've been told, they are very crisp and clear.

Bob, you last wrote this: Canon USA have never been very good about keeping their web pages current or rapidly correcting errors.

But before that, you wrote this: And since it's [the 20-35] widely available and listed on the Canon UK website, Canon Canada website, Canon Australia website (and probably others which I haven't checked), what's your reason for thinking its discontinued?

Well, it would follow that since Canon are known for not keeping websites current it is entirely possible that this lens has in fact been discontinued, and relying on the fact that it still appears on websites to argue otherwise is faulty logic. I'm sure by now you wish I would let this lie, but I really would like to know if the information on the B&H website that I referenced earlier (see above) is accurate. Just because Adorama might have some stock left over doesn't mean the lens is still available from Canon.

<p>I have several stores in the Netherlands that still stock it, and a quick search shows it's still for sale in the USA as well, look <a href="http://www.adorama.com/CA2035AFU.html">here</a> or <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-20-35mm-3-5-4-5-Ultra-Cameras/dp/B00009R6WR/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1216709968&sr=8-1">here</a> for example.</p>

<p>Who cares what the Canon site says. The store has it, so it's still available...</p>

I decided to just ask the source, which is Canon USA yesterday and today I just got an email reply from them.

They confirmed that the lens is discontinued.

----

Dear xxx

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the EF 24-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens.

We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to

assist you.

Unfortunately, the EF 24-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens has been discontinued.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with the EF

24-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Michael

Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.

If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email,

you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with

unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362,

Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this

message and we will respond as quickly as possible.