Next step of Leica?

"<I>If accounts from respected working pros aren't "verifiable statistics," then I just don't know where to turn. With all due respect, how

come Tina's conclusion is a verifiable stat and and Bill Pierce's isn't?</I>"

<P>

Nothing wrong with Bill Pierce's commentary, but if you're relying on internet blogs to gather stats you're only hearing from 'squeaky wheel'

people. This is a badly skewed sample, the ones with problems are more likely to squeak.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El Fang wrote: "<I>That only means something like a 5D would have "paid for itself" in only one month, with the second

one paying for itself in little over a week.</I>"

<P>

Fang, didn't you read that her 5D is sitting on the shelf gathering dust in favor of her M8, and that her stock agency accepts

far more of her M8 photos than photo she made when she was using the Canons? The productivity equation requires knowledge beyond

second-grade arithmatic.

The problem most of you are ignoring is the fact that in the past few years we have been seeing a whole new

generation of serious photographers who have never - <b>ever</b> - shot film. They cut their teeth on the dRebels

and D40s and have come to expect a certain level of performance and service from the average Japanese digital

SLR. They have no emotional investment in Leica M series history and most of them likely never will. So hand

one of these kids an M8. Show them how you have to take off the baseplate to change a card or battery. Show them

what happens at higher than ISO 640. Then show them what happens to the rendering of synthetic blacks and how you

need to slap a $100 filter over every lens you own just to bandaid-fix it. You know what their response will be?

<p>The problem with the M8 and Leica's current charted course doesn't have anything to do with interchangeable

sensors or return for money invested - that is all irrelevant. Leica needs to take advantage of their current

partnership with <a href="http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2007/snapshots/6630.html"

target="_blank">one of the largest and most successful electronics manufacturers in the world</a> (#4 behind

Siemens, Samsung and Hitachi according to that link), and make their flagship digital M at

least match the reliability and consistency that has been the norm for <b>entry level</b> Japanese dSLRs for

years, while keeping it a compact, near-silent, professional-grade dSLR alternative that takes their

extraordinary lenses. It's time to leave behind the stupid artifacts from the bygone film era, and think about

how to make the M concept appealing to a new generation of photographers. And they needed to do all this

yesterday.</p>

<p>The nostalgic old farts who wax rhapsodic about the greatness of Leica M history are dying off by the day.

Sooner or later there will be few to none of them left to sing the praises of the M3, and all that will remain

are those wide-eyed, awestruck kids wondering "Holy crap, why the hell would anyone would pay $5,000 for this sh*t."

Those of you who keep going on about how "great" the M8 is, how it's "fine" and "just like the M3," - you're the

reason Leica will die a slow death within the next few years if they don't wake up and smell the coffee.</p>

<i>The productivity equation requires knowledge beyond second-grade arithmatic.</i>

<p>Of course, Doug, my mistake. You're correct, the M8 is the most awesomest camera ever, nothing at all wrong

with it, and all the pros scrambling over each other to grab the Nikon D3 for virtually the same price are

complete morons because <a href="http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Photos/Nikon_Adv_USA.jpg" target="_blank">Nikon's

20"x30" poster of racing motorcycles shot at ISO 6400</a> was actually shot using an M8.</p>

<p>Happy now? Good. I'll see you at the silent auction for Leica NJ's vacant building sometime next year.</p>

<The problem most of you are ignoring is the fact that in the past few years we have been seeing a whole new generation of serious photographers who have never - ever - shot film. They cut their teeth on the dRebels and D40s and have come to expect a certain level of performance and service from the average Japanese digital SLR. They have no emotional investment in Leica M series history and most of them likely never will. So hand one of these kids an M8. Show them how you have to take off the baseplate to change a card or battery. Show them what happens at higher than ISO 640. Then show them what happens to the rendering of synthetic blacks and how you need to slap a $100 filter over every lens you own just to bandaid-fix it. You know what their response will be?>

Heck, you don't have to have started with digital to see that Leica digital equipment is nothing to write home about. Having grown up in the film era myself just gives me an appreciation for Leica that will sadly be lacking with the new generation of photographers. And Leica does merit appreciation, but that was a bygone era. I have no appreciation for the current situation with Leica, and my film background hasn't blinded me to the truth. There is no advantage to not having a background in film. It gives you a richer perspective of photography in general.

On the other hand, I do know that some older photographers from the film era aren't able to separate Leica's present from the past, but that's more of an individual problem rather than a problem with having started with film. The point is that you can't lump all photographers, who cut their teeth on film, with being blinded to the truth of the present. Stereotyping is never truthful.

oh mr fang... take it easy. i think we are all aware of your feelings by now. for the record though i have been hearing about leica's

impending demise for so long now i take it all with a very LARGE grain of salt.

i am keenly aware of two camps on this issue.

there are folks who USE their m8's be it professionally or not. they remove baseplates, they use ir filters and they expose smashing high

iso images. some, including myself, use them as working cameras 6-7 days a week without a hitch. the camera, in my experience, is

tough, reliable and produces top notch prints. most of these folks spend the bulk of their time shooting, post processing and chasing

down business thus aren't afforded the time to pontificate on leica's future on the internet nor do they formulate their impressions by it.

camp 2 is the gear driven, forum haunting shooters that argue days on end over the virtues of taping over the red dot on their camera,

calculating the exact date of leica's demise or researching annual sales figures on the internet detailing the company's "obvious"

ineptitude.

in my humble opinion i would suggest leica focus it's time and energy on camp 1.

now forgive my "post and run" behaviour but i must pack my gear (including an m8 or two) and catch a flight. pictures to take and bills to

pay.

OMG, I just clicked on this thread.

Maybe photonet ought to collect all these gear debates into a definitive 126-volume reference set for future generations to enjoy.

If I get a sentence in there, my nomination for technological pinnacle is as follows: FE2, 24mm and 105mm ais. Cheap, durable, and provide no excuse for your images to fall short of Galen Rowell, Steve McCurry, or a thousand others.

<there are folks who USE their m8's be it professionally or not. they remove baseplates, they use ir filters and they expose smashing high iso images. some, including myself, use them as working cameras 6-7 days a week without a hitch. the camera, in my experience, is tough, reliable and produces top notch prints. most of these folks spend the bulk of their time shooting, post processing and chasing down business thus aren't afforded the time to pontificate on leica's future on the internet nor do they formulate their impressions by it.

camp 2 is the gear driven, forum haunting shooters that argue days on end over the virtues of taping over the red dot on their camera, calculating the exact date of leica's demise or researching annual sales figures on the internet detailing the company's "obvious" ineptitude.>

I see, there are two camps. If you can't form opinions and don't spend any time on forums it's because you're a real photographer and haven't got the time. I see.

Then there's camp two that forms opinions because they have nothing better to do and they aren't real photographers. Okay then. I see. I need to write this all down, or at least commit it to memory. What a golden nugget. I wish life was that simple. I really do.

Here I was all these years actually thinking I was a photographer, but how disheartening to learn I'm not because I posted on a forum, and formed opinions. Do you have room for a camp three, by any chance? ;)

"I see, there are two camps. If you can't form opinions and don't spend any time on forums it's because you're a real

photographer and haven't got the time. I see."

i think REAL was a word put in my mouth. WORKING would have been more or appropriate.

the point has been missed and perhaps it was a result of my language. the fact is there are many folks working on m8's

that have completely differing experiences with the camera then what the forums seem to paint (at nauseum). i believe

these experiences remain "uncounted" as many of these individuals either a/ don't have the time to spend on the matter

or b/ don't really care enough to sort it out on the internet.

it reminds me often of the r-d1. when the camera first arrived on the scene there was a maelstorm of issue's with it. i

looked at that camera long and hard before i bought one and was deeply concerned as the internet "review" of it, via

forums such as these, was poor to say the least. in the end i purchased one (r-d1s) and it has been flawless. still in

action today and i put a LOT of mileage on that camera. today all seems to be forgotten as it is often sighted as a

cheaper, better alternative to the m8 with nary a mention of the "issues" of the past. then along came the m8... again the

firestorm. un-reliable, poor iso performance etc etc. again i held off, waited, watched, read. again, despite

overwhelmingly poor opinion i purchased one and it has been a stellar performer since it arrived.( i did have to suffer one

dud before getting my hands on this current camera. where i will agree is that leica needs to SERIOUSLY review it's

support and service departments.) the m8 purchase was a business decision for me and i did not take it lightly. i am not

a doctor, dentist or lawyer as often sighted so $5000 was a significant amount of dough. although i am not wandering the

streets of ramadi i do shoot documentary work (currently covering the effects of oxycontin on the streets) and don't treat

my gear with kid gloves. the m8 has proven TO ME to be a reliable and powerful tool in my bag. among the other

working folks i encounter using it, the sentiment seems to be the same.

anyhow, the "leica going out of business" thing is tired. it has been going on since the m5. i suppose in a slightly less

verbose way that was my point.

cheers

john

<now i really have to run... thank jeffrey for not letting me get away with it so easily. nudge nudge wink wink>

Jon, I got your point, just thought I'd have a little fun with you.

In fact, I thought I was safe whatever I said because you wouldn't have the time to respond. :) You know, camp one and all. :)

Heck, I'm in camp three, I can do it all. :)

Cheers to you Sir!

"thanks Don. so how much was the M3 when it was released? can we inflation calculate that? my guess is that it

would be on par with what the M8 cost. (just a thought)"

There are some here who I am sure have price lists. I recall a discussion in the Classic Camera forum last year

that quoted a mid-50s price, an M3 w/ 50mm 'cron at 450$, but I don't know if that is accurate, but if so, it

would be significantly less than an M8 and 50 today by several thousand dollars for the body alone.

The big price difference between the M3 and M8 is due to Leica not having any competition and a small market to

sell to. They price according to what the market will bear. In order to sell an M8 and 50 'cron at

comparable 1950s prices, they'd need a digital rf market the size of the film rf market in the mid-1950s. Unless

Leica thinks such a market is here potentially, and can price on economies of scale, lowering the per unit price,

they'll have to continue trying to make a slow dime rather than a fast nickel in the existing market.

Don, I think Leica, first off, needs to make a better camera, meaning better image quality, especially. They have a five-thousand dollar RF camera, with a poor LCD screen, slow response times, no AF, and it doesn't even surpass a Canon Rebel in image quality. Who in their right mind would even try to bring a product like that into the current market? Only Leica. Loyalty will only go so far before EVERYONE throws their hands up in disgust. Leica is a legend and all that, but damn, you still gotta produce a competitive product. Even Leica.

One thing to keep in mind is that when the M3 came out, it was essentially the Nikon D3 or Canon 1DsMkIII of it's

time. There were others (I think Nikon had it's rangefinder, Canon had it's 7 or 7s maybe, Contax had it's IIA and

IIIA). Basically it was the top of the heap. The big 2 was Leica and Contax with Canon and Nikon nipping at their

heels as the up and comers.

I know we've established that there is at least a few professionals who have bought an M8 as a professional tool, but

there were those who bought Minoltas or Olympus or Exaktas, etc. back in the M3 days too. These days when you

think of the major, most sold, professional cameras of any type, Leica is probably not in the running. This doesn't

have anything to do with the quality of the camera, it just has to do with where the market is.

Why is this? I'm going to guess (and you pros can tell me if I'm all wet) that it has to do with price, performance,

functionality, ruggedness, ability to rent equipment including lenses, service speed, and availability. A pro probably

has to watch his tendency to buy gear just because it's cool and instead buy gear that can get the job done for him.

I don't think Leica can compete in this ball park, nor does it want to.

I think it's next step (to get back to the original question) should be to pursue the Panasonic relationship to develop

a panasonic built rangefinder using Leica M lenses using a digital sensor. The RD-2 so to speak, but with at least

the M8 sensor, something like the Lumix DMC-L1, only a rangefinder. Price hopefully $1500 or below. By all means

keep the M8 going. Use the same lens encoding scheme the M8 is using.

Yes it might cannibalize sales of the M8, but I suspect most of the buyers of the RD2 would not be tempted to buy

an M8 anyway. And Leica could make money recoding leica lenses as well as selling more lenses. If the M8 is

really what the public wants, that will show in time. Also the RD2 could be the backup body for people who DO like

the M8, just as a Yashica FX-3 was my backup to my Yashica/Kyocera Contax SLR. But there's no point in buying

a Panasonic/Leica DSLR (I have DSLRs already). And I don't want a point and shoot either. If I'm going to pay a

premium price for a DRF I want it to be an actual rangefinder.