Mike Johnston to Write Weekly Column for P-Net!

miserere_mei

For those of you who don't frequent the main p-net page, I thought I'd bring this news to your attention. Read

all about it here:

http://www.photo.net/columns/mjohnston/

Mike Johnston is a keen photographer with a keen mind and a keen eye for BS. Yeah, he's keen. Not only that, but

he possesses a fabulous sense of wit and his command of the written word is admirable. I enjoy reading his

extremely popular blog, The Online Photographer:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

In fact, it's what I do every morning.

Before starting this blog, Mike had a weekly column called The Sunday Photographer at The Luminous Landscape (and

reproduced on Steve's Digicams, the Polish site Fotopolis, and on our very own p-net). All of his articles are

still available, and they are VERY readable. Scroll to the bottom of the first link I provided and dive in! Have

any of you come across the term DMD (Decisive Moment Digital)? Mike coined it (read the article!). He also writes

a column for the British monthly Black and White Photography.

Now, you might ask yourselves what Mike can do for you, and not what you can do for Mike...so let me tell you.

Mike is not a gearhead; sure, he likes cameras, and he loves lenses, but it's all about the photography for him.

And he has a soft spot for Pentax too. What's not to love about him? In fact, in his first monthly column (hang

on, but it's not Sunday yet!) he talks about the Pentax DA Ltd 35mm macro and the Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm ƒ/2 ZF/K

lens, amongst other things. And believe me, it's these "other things" that make Mike's articles special:

http://www.photo.net/columns/mjohnston/maturity-with-digital-photography/

I look forward to many enjoyable Sunday mornings with Mr Johnston.

Welcome back, Mike!

Well jeez, Miserere Mei, you're making me blush.

But don't stop there. Tell 'em the second column is a MAJOR article about Pentax. It really will be, I think. It's jointly authored by Carl Weese and myself, and we've been working on it for some time now.

Thanks for the kind words. I am not worthy.

Mike J.

P.S. It's going to be monthly, not weekly, so you might have to wait a little longer than next Sunday! Sorry!

I've also been a regular reader at TOP, and more Mike is a good thing, methinks.

If Doug is reading, adding an RSS feed to Mike's columns would be appreciated. Also, I noticed at least one of the archived articles has links to 37thframe.com which appears to no longer be in use.

I don't actually own a Pentax at this juncture, although Pentax has been very generous with letting me keep a loaner K20D for considerably longer than the usual 30 days. It is the camera I've been using lately. Meanwhile, over at TOP, we seem to cover a lot of Pentax-related stuff, because Carl Weese, a regular contributor, switched to Pentax from his Olympus E-1 when the E-1 just got too old. (He doesn't care for the E-3, either.) He's written far more about the K20D on TOP than I have, including a recent review of the new 200mm lens.

I will have to sum up my thoughts about the K20D soon, but I'm reluctant to do it, because then I'll no longer have any real excuse to keep their camera any longer.... :-)

Mike

Mike, I thought you still had some of your old Pentax lenses and film bodies. Didn't you get the LX at some point in the (maybe distant) past? What happened to it?

Maybe you should just admit that you *really* like the K20D and want one for yourself. It's the first step :-)

In any case, I still look forward to your posts and article, whether you own any Pentax or not. I don't see you as a brand guy, just a camera guy, which is good IMO.